Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Barrera able to beat Naseem Hamed so easily?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
    Is anyone ever really in prime condition for fights? Boxers go in with injuries more often than not.
    good point!!!!

even in wrestling (folk style/high school) you hardly come in top condition each match. All the training and matches take their toll.

My last month of my first year, My left leg was banged up. We wrapped it and I'd keep it moving. Missed one state-wide tourney, I said **** it I dont want to miss any other chance to win medals. I ended up making it to state and coming 3rd in my region.

Some people pull out with injuries, others dont...its just not cool to make excuses when you lost. If you made the decision to compete, its too late to make excuses. If you lost, you lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      good point!!!!

even in wrestling (folk style/high school) you hardly come in top condition each match. All the training and matches take their toll.

My last month of my first year, My left leg was banged up. We wrapped it and I'd keep it moving. Missed one state-wide tourney, I said **** it I dont want to miss any other chance to win medals. I ended up making it to state and coming 3rd in my region.

Some people pull out with injuries, others dont...its just not cool to make excuses when you lost. If you made the decision to compete, its too late to make excuses. If you lost, you lost.
      This is exactly where I am with it.

Comment

• because as painful as this is going to sound, naseem hamed was overrated and never fought anyone on barrera's level.

barrera exposed him, simple as that. tired of all these excuses.

Comment

• Timing, plus Barrera was a huge step up in competition for Hamed.

Barrera wasn't going into the fight intimidated, he basically stood his ground and focused on timing Hamed when he would get out of place or off balance and attack him. Plus Barrera had good whiskers and an underated defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by hectari View Post
            Timing, plus Barrera was a huge step up in competition for Hamed.

Barrera wasn't going into the fight intimidated, he basically stood his ground and focused on timing Hamed when he would get out of place or off balance and attack him. Plus Barrera had good whiskers and an underated defense.
            Barrera is a great fighter but people act like Hamed fought a bunch of nobodies...not saying you are but other posters on this site..in less than 40 fights he defeated 9 major world titleholders and a few lineal champions

Barrera fought a great fight and was a stylistic nightmare for NAZ...he was very disciplined

Wilfredo Vazquez is as close to being a hall of famer as a guy can without being one.

Vuyuni Bungu held the ibf 122 title for 5 years and upset kennedy mckinney for it, had 13 defenses

kevin kelly, tom johnson was a long time featherweight titlist

a lot of the posters on here didnt even follow the little guys or boxing in the mid 90s

Comment

• Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
              This is exactly where I am with it.
              thats why Haye' toe annoyed me....Manny's so called shoulder injury that he literally showed no discomfort before, during, or immediately after the fight(his ego was sore), and other cases....Andre Berto arm was literally hanging and he kept trying to win...thats what im talking about...Berto gets crapped on but he showed heart even in losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
                That was messed up; As a kid, I remember Lampley saying something along the lines of, "Where is his God now?! Allah can't protect him now!"

As great as Lampley is as a commentator (my favorite ever), he should've been fired for discriminating like that on air.
                Saying racist, insulting, demeaning stuff about muslims and Islam is somehow not considered to be racist in this world, had Jim said something like that about jews, he would've been in jail till now.

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  Barrera is a great fighter but people act like Hamed fought a bunch of nobodies...not saying you are but other posters on this site..in less than 40 fights he defeated 9 major world titleholders and a few lineal champions

Barrera fought a great fight and was a stylistic nightmare for NAZ...he was very disciplined

Wilfredo Vazquez is as close to being a hall of famer as a guy can without being one.

Vuyuni Bungu held the ibf 122 title for 5 years and upset kennedy mckinney for it, had 13 defenses

kevin kelly, tom johnson was a long time featherweight titlist

a lot of the posters on here didnt even follow the little guys or boxing in the mid 90s
                  This is an excellent point, and one I've made to plenty of people when discussing Hamed. He beat all the guys IBF, WBC, WBA, WBO, and in certain cases more than once. The division may have not been red hot, but these guys were good fighters, and in certain cases very good. A few of them went on and won titles even after Hamed beat them.

I always say his reign in the sport had a lot of parallels with Mike Tyson, both shone early and bright and won world titles at an early age, both devastating knockout artists, both earned a hell of a lot of money and transcended the sport, but they both faded and lacked discipline to sustain the early phenomena. If you read the 'Paddy and the Prince', the rotting of Naseem had already started as early as his first world title defence, he started to not show up for training, the money got to him, and slowly his relationship with Brendan Ingle deteriorated because of Hamed's crazy ego and lack of respect for lots of people. He like Mike Tyson is a cautionary tale for other boxers to be honest, the only good thing about Hamed's career over Tyson's is that Hamed kept his money.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                    This is an excellent point, and one I've made to plenty of people when discussing Hamed. He beat all the guys IBF, WBC, WBA, WBO, and in certain cases more than once. The division may have not been red hot, but these guys were good fighters, and in certain cases very good. A few of them went on and won titles even after Hamed beat them.

I always say his reign in the sport had a lot of parallels with Mike Tyson, both shone early and bright and won world titles at an early age, both devastating knockout artists, both earned a hell of a lot of money and transcended the sport, but they both faded and lacked discipline to sustain the early phenomena. If you read the 'Paddy and the Prince', the rotting of Naseem had already started as early as his first world title defence, he started to not show up for training, the money got to him, and slowly his relationship with Brendan Ingle deteriorated because of Hamed's crazy ego and lack of respect for lots of people. He like Mike Tyson is a cautionary tale for other boxers to be honest, the only good thing about Hamed's career over Tyson's is that Hamed kept his money.
                    im just glad he got his due and made it to the hall of fame...a lot of people wanted to see him lose because of his antics and personality just like mayweather, but you cant just deny his talent and accomplishments

he came at sensitive time for americans...he was british, brash, arrogant, and a muslim. Most of his haters are americans and Im american. I cant repeat some of the things I heard as a teen from my fam and friends when he fought.

Hamed, literally cleaned out 126 in the 90s and did it in dominant and exciting fashion...He was literally the most dominant feathweight champion since the early 80s...he is an all time great and very few people in history would have defeated Hamed from 1995-1998 when he was still hungry and more serious about training. No excuses, he signed to fight and he lost with humility. He showed class but Merchant showed none. Im glad big george put him in his place.

you can have all the talent in the world but if you have no game plan and lack discipline, you will lose to lesser fighters....it happens all the time and it happened to tyson.....tyson who had rooney ko's Douglass

Comment

• Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                      Saying racist, insulting, demeaning stuff about muslims and Islam is somehow not considered to be racist in this world, had Jim said something like that about jews, he would've been in jail till now.
                      He would have lost his job if he said anything about christianity or jews....i watched that fight life and i can remember my brother saying " what **** does Allah have to do with a boxing match!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X