No announcement yet.

What would have happened if Hatton had made a successful comeback

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    He would have fought Malignaggi for sure.
    I recall that photo of Ali messing around with Cosell's "hairpiece" about which he was sensitive. He backed Ali all the way, but occasionally got fed up with his very childish antics. His more serious antics he kept for Elijah Poole Muhammed. .

Comment

I'm not sure Hatton's heart would have been in relighting his career because of how much he stressed his comeback fight was just to see for himself if he still had 'it'...To me that isn't really the mentality to have if he planned on coming back and storming his way to championship...

That being said, who knows...If he came back and looked great, then beat Paulie again it would have been pretty interesting what he could have gone on to do. But his mentality would fail him in my opinion, like I said, his comeback was simply for himself to check if he still 'could', a little self re-assurance I guess, not to make big moves.

But can you imagine Hatton-Gatti and Hatton-Cotto fights if they happened back in the day? Now there are some fights that would have brought value for money and then some!

Comment

He'd have rematched Pauli and probably lost every round.

He was done.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          He'd have rematched Pauli and probably lost every round.

He was done.

agree.

paulie's a boxer, but he usually has a pretty stable base and takes steps. he's not really flying around on his toes the way some of these athletic guys do. his style aged well. hatton's style didn't age well, and neither did his body.

hatton really wailed on himself, by the look of things. cocaine, booze, late nights, women, and obviously the punches to the head when coming forward. that will take it out of you quickly.

Comment

I think he chose the wrong opponent in senshenko purely for the fact it was a guy who was going to hang around for 12 rounds

first three rounds it was obvious that skill-wise hatton was on a different level, but then his gas tank emptied out. What he needed was a guy who'd fall over within 5 rounds.

Had they picked that, who knows, if hatton had kept training and got his gas tank back he'd have been an interesting addition to the division

Comment

Working...
            X