Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't "The Contender" take off and succeed the way "The Ultimate Fighter" has?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MissDeeCole View Post
    I liked the show but it could have been better, and I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on why boxing's version of a reality show didn't become a big hit like the UFC version has. For one, I think theres alot of ways it could have been done better, like maybe if HBO was in charge of it, since theyve done such a good job with 24/7. what are some things that would make as successful "Contender" or Contender spinoff if you were in charge
    As Boxing's progressed, the urge for fighters to stay undefeated has become something as common as the cold. They would never put any real up and coming or "contenders" on the show because they have a chance to lose and lose out on getting bigger fights. I mean, look at the batch of young Boxers in the past couple of years who have been beaten by lesser know guys (i.e. Victor Ortiz and Amir Khan come to mind).

With MMA, you don't find a lot of undefeated fighters because at least with the UFC, they don't have that stigma of keeping a guy undefeated for a long stretch more than just putting the best against the best.

Boxing's become too fascinated with being undefeated. I mean, imagine Floyd losing sometime next year. What do you think that does to his aura or credibility of being called the best since a good amount of his pull is from him being undefeated? The human psyche is a muthaphucka.

Comment

Working...
    X