Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Hearns Beat All Welters Except For The Sugars?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    Hearns was not a glass jaw, but he was not that hard to hurt, either, if you could get past his reach. Punches that wouldn't shake up other fighters wobbled his bird legs. Hearns managed to keep from being KO'd most of the time not by his own chin but the chins of his opponents, who could not withstand such firepower long enough to do their own damage.

He had a nearly decent chin, but not as good as decent. Chin is where he falls shortest as a fighter, that and his bird legs. He made up for it. Most opponents never got a chance to test his chin or his legs.

Almost every all time great (and #3 or thereabouts on the all time welterweight list is certainly an all time great) has a platinum rated chin. Hearns is one of the very few able to star travel with less than a platinum rated chin. Like I say, he had the style to make up for the assets he was weakest in. Such chins are usually weeded out in the all time selection process long before that, but not Tommy. He is up there anyway, as he should be IMO.

Mickey Walker might have taken Tommy down. He had the chin, the punch and the speed to land. He was used to fighting bigger men. His lefhook was sneaky and untelegraphed. It would be an uphill fight for him, but Mickey had a lot of those.
    At 147 the only fighter to hurt Hearns was Leonard who I believe had the ability to beat any Welterweight in history.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
      i like tito's chances against hearns, a lot.
      Not at all, he literally has no advantage on Hearns, I think this would be an awfully easy match up for Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        At 147 the only fighter to hurt Hearns was Leonard who I believe had the ability to beat any Welterweight in history.
        Not to mention it took him 14 rounds and an all time great effort to stop Hearns.

Comment

Ray Robinson would find a way to win.

Comment

If Curry had a chin, I think he could give Tommy hell. I think Milton McCrory has a a very slight chance based on his familiarity with Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
              If Curry had a chin, I think he could give Tommy hell. I think Milton McCrory has a a very slight chance based on his familiarity with Hearns.
              If you have doubts about Curry's chin, then McCrory is really shaky.

Comment

Most welterweights would be in a lot of trouble, but at least it would end quickly.

Comment

the duran that made leonard hold on for three rounds would have stopped hearns in june of 80

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    If you have doubts about Curry's chin, then McCrory is really shaky.
                    At Welterweight, I think Donald developed to a level where his defense was tight, and nobody could deal with him. I have always felt that if him and Milton had fought around early 83, he would have lost to Milton. And if Bobby Joe Young hadn't gotten derailed by Kevin Howard, he would've definitely tested Curry to the point where Donald may have lost. Milton, outside of being floored by Mark Breland in a sparring session, never got floored until Curry, to my understanding.

Comment

Working...
                    X