Chris Algieri wants Adrien Broner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Algieri wants Adrien Broner

http://******.craveonline.com/news/4...xy4ccE.twitter

Long Island’s Chris Algieri is looking to return to the ring in either March or April and expressed serious interest in facing Andre Berto or Adrien Broner.

Since June of 2014, Algieri has fought a succession of first-class opponents in Ruslan Provodnikov, Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan. When his name comes up, it’s usually associated with big fights.

That’s why, coming off a solid decision win against a game Erick Bone in December, Algieri (21-2, 8 knockouts) is in the always-fascinating, in-between fight stage where the most-recognizable names are mentioned as possible opponents.

And two names that seemed to pique his interest are Berto, last seen challenging Floyd Mayweather Jr. unsuccessfully, and Broner, a junior welterweight titlist.

“That’s a great fight,” the 31-year-old said of the match-up with Berto to ******. “I think the timing for both of us is great. The style match-up is a great fight. I think it’s a fan-friendly fight. If we could find the venue and the right money for the both of us, I think that’s a fantastic fight, but we’ll see. It’s very preliminary right there. I’ve never been the kind of guy who picked fights so we’ll see what the opportunities are out there.”

The former junior welterweight title-holder smiled at the thought of facing Broner, a brash, sometimes vulgar figure who couldn’t be more different from the Rockwellian Algieri, an aspiring physician who likes to share his favorite recipes on social media and takes seriously the idea of being a role model to fans.

(Broner was last seen on TMZ offering grooming tips to a stripper and tossing money at a camera filming him.)

“I think that would be a really good fight for the fans because the lead-up and the build-up would be massive, massive,” he said of facing Broner. “You have two very different people from different worlds and the dichotomy of those two personalities I think would be very interesting to see as a build-up to the fight. And then stylistically it could work out to be a really good fight.”

Algieri, promoted by Joe DeGuardia, was nestled in the second row of a Broadway Boxing card in Times Square as he spoke on Wednesday, barely noticeable with a thick, winter beard hiding his face.

He’s schedule to make an appearance at the Adidas store in Soho on Saturday on behalf of his sponsor. And he intends to split training between Florida with trainer John David Jackson and New York with Keith Trimble, where his style in the ring continues to evolve.

“It’s funny because early on I was more of a puncher and then I turned into a boxer for my bigger fights,” he said. “And now I’m becoming more of a pressure fighter, so I think it just shows the multi-faceted approach that my style and my team have developed over the years. I’m just happy that I’m able to show different styles at this elite level in terms of finding what style is going to fit for each fight.”

Can algerie upset broner?

50/50 fight and kind of fight both fighters need.

Comment

Easy work Broner. That **** his trainer tried to pull on Manny won't work on AB.

Comment

and berto.. but dont think chris is going to 140, AB doesnt need to be going to 147.. but berto would be a good fight

Comment

Good fights, aligieri beats berto easy though. Broner would be a more interesting fight, i heard broner is having trouble making 140again.

Comment

he would beat broner

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
              Good fights, aligieri beats berto easy though. Broner would be a more interesting fight, i heard broner is having trouble making 140again.
              lol how can you "hear" that when he hasnt even got in camp yet, he was 138 for his last fight

Comment

He turned down Spence for Broner. Can't really blame him tho. He's fought some good fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                  lol how can you "hear" that when he hasnt even got in camp yet, he was 138 for his last fight
                  Well if thats the case no way that fight happens since algieri can no longer make the 140 pound division. Broner will have to go up in weight

Comment

Broner beats him

Comment

Working...
                    X