No announcement yet.

Pavlik was very classy in defeat, unlike Kessler/Abraham

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pavlik was very classy in defeat, unlike Kessler/Abraham

I was one of those guys rooting for Pavlik's down fall on Saturday. His reign as MW champion was lackluster at best and seemed to drag on with no real highlights. I was rooting for Martinez for sure, and was happy he got the decision.

But what I couldn't help but appreciate was the class and dignity Pavlik showed in defeat. While he did mention the cut as a reason for the loss, he did not hang it all on that. He acknowledged that the cut was caused from a punch, acknowledged that Martinez fought a great fight, and acknowledged that Martinez took advantage and beat him in the championship rounds.

Comparing his post fight interview with that of Kessler (post Ward loss) and Abraham (post Dirrell loss), it's almost comical. These guys were coming up with anything to explain why they lost (headbutts, acting, blah blah). Whereas Pavlik gave an honest assessment of the fight, acknowledged his defeat, and congratulated the winner. That's what gentlemen do.

I agree with you. The cut was obviously a factor, but he still gave Martinez full credit. I wouldnt mind seeing a rematch.

Comment

no doubt just rewatcehd the fight and post fight and he was pretty classy ... i expect kelly to use the rematch clause. personally i hope its immidiate and he doesnt fight a scrub inbetween ... looking forward/interested to see how the rematch goes

Comment

Yea...

He's a class guy...

He's given classy interviews for all of his postfights that i've seen...

Comment

Originally posted by -Boxzilla- View Post
          no doubt just rewatcehd the fight and post fight and he was pretty classy ... i expect kelly to use the rematch clause. personally i hope its immidiate and he doesnt fight a scrub inbetween ... looking forward/interested to see how the rematch goes
          I think it says a lot about a fighter when he's able to admit he's been defeated.

Guys like Glen Johnson, Hopkins, Abraham, and Kessler should take notice.

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
            I think it says a lot about a fighter when he's able to admit he's been defeated.

I admit Pavlik was gracious in defeat. Props to him.

But I dont like how you mentioned Glen Johnson, The guy has been screwed over so many times he had a right to complain. About half of his "losses" were in the other guy's hometown. Johnson has my respect, He earned every inch of success of his career.

I do agree about Kessler though, He got his ass whooped for 10 rounds and then said he should have won because he thought Ward was deliberately butting him. Pathetic, The guy got schooled.

Comment

Pavlik has always been pretty humble.

A rematch will pretty much decide what Kelly does from here on out. He has the ability to beat Martinez, if he doesn't take the rematch he is pretty much resigning to being a local attraction, which I am not sure he is necessarily opposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post

He admitted he lost without acting like a loser. He gave credit to Martinez and carried himself very well. Pavlik gets sh|t on a lot around here, gets called a skinhead, overrated etc. People forget how much he was in that fight till the big cut. How that overrated, slow, no talent had Martinez missing and was actually cutting him off and making him pay.

Comment

Pavlik was a cry-baby when he lost to BHOP.

Comment

Kessler was classy in defeat. He brought up the headbutts which were obviously a factor and also gave credit to Ward which was obviously another factor.

Abraham was coming on when his opponent slipped and Abraham knocked him out while he was down. Abraham didn't realise that Dirrell was really down when he hit him so of course he was pissed and disappointed. Not to mention that the round just before he was robbed of a clear cut knockdown so he was probably feeling like he was being shafted by the home town ref..

I don't see what Pavlik could have used as an excuse even if he wanted to. If he complained about making weight, then his rematch clause would become bogus. Apart from that there's nothing to complain about.

Comment

Working...
                    X