Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Cuban Boxer's Journey: Rigondeaux, from Castro's Traitor to American Champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, I just finished reading the book. Butler is an excellent writer. Whether a Rigo fan or not, it's worth the read. Surprisingly, Butler only ends up meeting Rigo like 6 times in the 6-7 year span this book takes place in, and most of the encounters were brief. I originally thought he was close to Rigo and had constant access to him, which wasn't really the case. A lot of what makes the book interesting is actually Butler's own journey and the trouble the went through in trying to secure these various interviews. And not just with Rigo, all these other famous Cuban Olympians that didn't defect in contrast to Rigo.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 06-26-2014, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by f4314n68 View Post
      here, mija.

mira niņa linda

Bazooka was a mexican killer, it took a hof and bigger man from mexico to defeat him

Comment

Originally posted by BendOver View Post
        mira niņa linda

Bazooka was a mexican killer, it took a hof and bigger man from mexico to defeat him
        Funny, wasn't he a HOF himself?

Comment

Another fun fact from the book. Rigo was beat up badly by a 15 year old Mexican kid in a Wild Card sparring session right before Rigo's 6th pro fight. It's why Roach refused to be in Rigo's corner for that fight.

They didn't mention his name, but by the clues given in this book, I'm pretty sure it was Byron Gonzalez.
          http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...7288&cat=boxer

It's too bad it looks like he stopped fighting in 2012 though. Finished with a record of 4 wins and 3 draws. One of those draws was with Francisco Vargas, which is pretty decent.
          Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Just downloaded it, gonna read it in the next days, so excited for this

Would love to see a Lara book in future too, came across this article which was very interesting

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2011-10...ing-back/full/

In the ring, he floored one challenger after another during the long months of training to prepare for Beijing. "I knew I could beat anyone," he says. "I would even go up and fight drunk sometimes. It didn't matter." - what a badass!

On his second defection - Hours after swimming away from his Marianao apartment, Lara had clung desperately to a seat in an uncovered boat skimming over six-foot waves and lashed with horizontal rain. "I was sure we would die on the sea," he says. "I've never felt fear like on the Gulf."

On the Williams robbery - Here's the ugly truth behind Williams's phony win: All too often, promoters have influence over a fight's judges. And those promoters can make fortunes based on who wins. (Williams took home $1.5 million instead of $135,000.)

Comment

Originally posted by WesleySnipes View Post
              Just downloaded it, gonna read it in the next days, so excited for this

Would love to see a Lara book in future too, came across this article which was very interesting

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2011-10...ing-back/full/

In the ring, he floored one challenger after another during the long months of training to prepare for Beijing. "I knew I could beat anyone," he says. "I would even go up and fight drunk sometimes. It didn't matter." - what a badass!

On his second defection - Hours after swimming away from his Marianao apartment, Lara had clung desperately to a seat in an uncovered boat skimming over six-foot waves and lashed with horizontal rain. "I was sure we would die on the sea," he says. "I've never felt fear like on the Gulf."

On the Williams robbery - Here's the ugly truth behind Williams's phony win: All too often, promoters have influence over a fight's judges. And those promoters can make fortunes based on who wins. (Williams took home $1.5 million instead of $135,000.)
              Lol boxing drunk even sparring that is some crazy **** right there.

Comment

Working...
              X