Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyson hit harder than Foreman and Earnie Shavers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does "sprung forward" add power? Once you leave your feet your arm punching!! It's not as powerfull as using your shoulders, hips and pronating the punch!
    Mike was the least heavy handed of the three with Ernie not being that behind George is my best guess not knowing personally how Georges felt! Ray

Comment

Foremans power is like swinging a heavy axe. Its not as fast but if it hits it destroys. Tyson was a machete. Swing it fast and could end it in one swing

Comment

to be honest i think there were harder punchers in tysons era than tyson. Take the fights with tillis, bonecrusher smith, ribalta, thomas, mitch green. Tyson either struggled or dint knock these guys out but landed big shots on them. Where as morrison knocked out tillis round 1 and made thomas quit round 1, razor ruddock knocked out ribalta n bonecrusher with 1 punch and tyson landed far more punches on razor ruddock and never knocked him out the way lewis and morrison did. Stick in butterbean aswell. So to tysonbomb who said he made guys semi conscious, other heavy hitters did a much better job. Not taking anything away from tysons power though coz he had plenty but harder than foreman n shavers.........na

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I've got a feeling that if all three were to land right crosses on a PSI machine (like you see Ivan Drago hitting in Rocky IV) then I'd expect Shaver's right to give the highest figure, followed by Foreman and then Tyson.

But Tyson undoubtably hit extremely hard regardless, with superior technique and in quicker combination than Shavers or Foreman. There probably would be opponents that prime Tyson would KO that might be more decisive than Foreman or Shavers simply due to the overwhelming effect of his combination punching when the opponent was hurt.
          Personally i truly believe Sonny Liston also belongs in this conversation. A very very powerful punch.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
            Personally i truly believe Sonny Liston also belongs in this conversation. A very very powerful punch.
            Very true.....there were other heavyweights that could be added here too:

Max Baer has a very real argument based on his right hand.

Cleveland Williams had very heavy hands.

Frank Bruno had terrific power.

Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko wouldn't embarrass themselves in a PSI based test either.

Tommy Morrison had a wicked left hook.....

Comment

there are many fighters with great power and heavy hands that are not as famous such as Gary Mason who i personally think was maybe on par with big George for pure brute strength, because just like big George Mason really had no technique to speak of but his power was brutal

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
                there are many fighters with great power and heavy hands that are not as famous such as Gary Mason who i personally think was maybe on par with big George for pure brute strength, because just like big George Mason really had no technique to speak of but his power was brutal
                I always believed that was an underrated win for Lewis. I would never equate Mason with Foreman though.

With that said, I don't agree that Foreman had "no technique" He was adept at cutting off the ring and using a very powerful and accurate left jab.

Comment

There are enough fighters with power to talk about for a long time. However "heavy handed" guys are rare! Shavers had a heavy jab and at times a heavy right hand but he was more of a power guy than heavy handed! Tyson was not heavy handed, he used speed and leverage to attain power!! However Forman had heavy hands, that doesn't mean that everyone is going to go to sleep it just means George hurt you without loading up!
                  Most heavy handed men will have above average fist size and above average bone dencity. When they add shoulders into their punches the weight of the punch increases dramaticly.
                  I held pads for Ernie and Mike when he was a 15 to 17 year old, and I trained a heavy named Kenny Schmidt who hit almost as hard as they did!! Schmidt was actually more heavy handed but he lacked the ability to maintain technique! Personally I'll take good power with excellant technique over a heavy handed fighter. The technique guy will also usually have a higher percentage of accuracy!!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    There are enough fighters with power to talk about for a long time. However "heavy handed" guys are rare! Shavers had a heavy jab and at times a heavy right hand but he was more of a power guy than heavy handed! Tyson was not heavy handed, he used speed and leverage to attain power!! However Forman had heavy hands, that doesn't mean that everyone is going to go to sleep it just means George hurt you without loading up!
                    Most heavy handed men will have above average fist size and above average bone dencity. When they add shoulders into their punches the weight of the punch increases dramaticly.
                    I held pads for Ernie and Mike when he was a 15 to 17 year old, and I trained a heavy named Kenny Schmidt who hit almost as hard as they did!! Schmidt was actually more heavy handed but he lacked the ability to maintain technique! Personally I'll take good power with excellant technique over a heavy handed fighter. The technique guy will also usually have a higher percentage of accuracy!!!! Ray.
                    to be honest, i dont believe you can measure accurately true power through mitts. Ive heard guys say naseem hamed hit harder than lennox lewis on the pads, they were probably quicker and sharper and maybe why it felt harder than a slower heavier punch but if you were to hit a balloon in the air with a sledge hammer its not gonna do much but swing it at a bowling ball, its gona do damage, depends on what your throwing at. Not saying you have noodle arms ray lol

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                      I always believed that was an underrated win for Lewis. I would never equate Mason with Foreman though.

With that said, I don't agree that Foreman had "no technique" He was adept at cutting off the ring and using a very powerful and accurate left jab.
                      I can respect your opinion, but for me after seeing Mason hit the heavy bag in person and seeing big Gorge hit it on tape, i would say for brute strength they are on par for sure.

And i said REALLY no technique to speak of compared to other boxers such as Evander for example , not literally meaning no technique.

Comment

Working...
                      X