Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered the biggest match in Boxing history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In terms of the biggest match, I would have to say it was Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling. Not only were their two countries at war, it was the two super powers. I watched the documentry and saw how big this was for both countries and saw the effect of both fighters.

I don't think that 2 human beings ever had the pressure that both fighters had both times they fought.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
      No it was mostly important to Louis. I think the BIGGEST match in terms of effect was the fight between Jack Johnson and Jim Jeffries. It was the world famous writer jack London who cointed the term "white hope" and encouraged the search, and they dragged poor Jeffries out of comfortable retirement, made him lose over 200lbs in 6 months, and got him half killed.

There were riots all over the boxing world, PARTICULARLY in the US, where about 15 or more black people were actually killed, and thousands injured. This fight caused the US Government to become actively involved in getting rid of Johnson, and they trumped up the infamous "Mann Act, so as to be able to charge him with bringing a woman across a State line.

He was forced t0 skip bail escaping through Canada, but after about 6-7 years gave himself up and did a year in jail.
      I agree with this guy 100%, good post man..........Rockin'

Comment

Without going too far back into the mists of history

Louis Schmelling II
        The Fight of The Century
        Rumble in The Jungle

They are the outstanding 3 so take your pick of them

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          I agree with this guy 100%, good post man..........Rockin'
          Here's a thread from the 100'th anniversary of the fight:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=402796

Comment

Originally posted by esconore View Post
            Louis vs. Schmelling was probably one of the most important/biggest matches.
            Agreed. Then Ali Vs. Frazier 1

Comment

Louis vs. Schmelling

or

Johnson vs. Jefferies

Comment

Juan Diaz vs Malignacci 2 (malignacci??)

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                  Typo, I mean 100 lbs. Because of this Johnson thing no other black fighter got a chance to fight for the title until Joe louis did, 30 years after Johnson won his title.

A disgusting never to be erased disgrace, and a blot (along with many others) on the US justice system.

I think the sentence was taken out just recently (2 years ago?), and Johnson was post****usly declared innocent...

Comment

Hard not to agree with the ones mentioned. Recently there is one fight practically everyone was talking about, but not so much before it happened as after it was over and that was Tyson vs Douglas.

Comment

Watching the films and documentaries about Johnson/Jefferies it was a bit embarrasing to know that people were treated horribly just because of their skin color. Johnson winning that fight was a great thing for the blacks in that time. It was achievment, recognition and something that could never be taken from them, the feeling that they could be champion or better yet succeed in a racialy viscious society. While the emancipation proclomation had been installed into the american juditial system it in no way meant that blacks would be treated fairly by the general populous.

While it is embarrasing to know that blacks were treated that way I am unable to be apologetic about the happenings. I was raised by a mother who is not racist and we are all equal was something that she taught us early on in life even though the racist people were around us, I am proud of that. I meet a man and he is not judged by his color or ethinticity, but rather by his actions towards me and those around him. I do feel bad about what happened 100 years ago but if I had anything to do with it back then it never would have been horrible like it was.

To me it was good that Johnson prevailed in that match, it brought the blacks of the time some extra pride and started the paving the way of what I experienced in the gyms of downtown Detroit. I met and am still friends with so many of the guys that I grew up fighting with, it makes me glad to know that Johnson helped put it all into motion, equality.........Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X