No announcement yet.

Most Impressive Performances By Green Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    Jeff Fenech beat prime, future HOFer Daniel Zaragoza after only 12 fights and 1 1/2 years of pro experience. Two less fights than Nelson, but in half the amount of time. Though he does hold the record for fastest title win, after only 6 months.

Veeraphol Sahaprom beat 55-5 champion Daorung Chuvatana after 3 fights and 9 months pro ex.

Spinks beat Ali.

Kostya beat Rodriguez fir his first title in the exact same frame of time and number of fights as Nelson against Sanchez, but obviously Rodiguez was just a good, solid champ of the times rather than a HOFer. However, he did beat a past it Juan La Porte, who had just come off fight with Nelson himself, after 3 pro fights.
    All good mentions, although I question your assertion that Zaragoza was in his prime, he was still pretty green himself and just coming off a loss. He certainly hadn't peaked as a fighter at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
      its probably wrong to call holyfied green after his amateur career but i thought his performance against Qawi in like his 12th pro fight or something was legendary.

That was a huge jump up in class for Holyfield. And a lot of lesser fighters would have been permanently damaged by the punishment he took in that match.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        As did Nelson of course.

He was a commonwealth games gold medalist and only lost two amateur fights of more than 50. In fact, Fenech was only an amateur for a very short period, two years, though did very well. Nelson had a longer and just as successful career. Only Tszyu had a long, really standout am career.
        I had forgot about Nelson's amateur career. Fenech you probably know was an Olympian.

And in spite of these fighters amateur backgrounds, the fact that some of these fighters were able to go 15 rounds was a feat by itself. The amateurs does not prepare a fighter for long fights. For these guys to fight at a top level for 15 rounds with little pro experiance was amazing.

Comment

Spinks vs Ali was the first fight i thought of

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            Benitez - Cervantes
            This. Add Mayorga against Six Heads, Corrales against Garcia, Casamayor against Baek (sort of).

Comment

Michael Double MM Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
                All good mentions, although I question your assertion that Zaragoza was in his prime, he was still pretty green himself and just coming off a loss. He certainly hadn't peaked as a fighter at that time.
                29 years old, 6 years as a pro, over 30 fights, former bantam champion and future SBW champ not long after. If that's not prime then nothing is. Losing to 'Happy' Lora, who many had as one of those under the radar top P4P guys says nothing. Lora was a beast and would have beaten Zaragoza at any point in their careers I'd venture. Lora was one of my favourite fighters. Good power, active and was brilliant defensively. Real underrated, forgotten fighter.

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                I had forgot about Nelson's amateur career. Fenech you probably know was an Olympian.

And in spite of these fighters amateur backgrounds, the fact that some of these fighters were able to go 15 rounds was a feat by itself. The amateurs does not prepare a fighter for long fights. For these guys to fight at a top level for 15 rounds with little pro experiance was amazing.
                Yeah, Nelson had an excellent amateur career.

Fenech of course lost early on in the Olympics and was incredibly angered by it, as it was a reversed jury decision which he was originally declared the winner in. He felt he would go on to have won so held a grudge against the eventual winner.

He eventually got his chance at revenge however when him and the eventual gold medalist and highly touted prospect Steve McCrory faced off in a well publicised fight between the undefeated, highly touted supposed future star and gold medalist and the rugged but supposedly unskilled Fenech. Great fight, but Fenech was just a beast and ruined McCrory, who had too much heart for his own good and just took a prolonged beating which completely ruined him. Eventually got stopped in the 14th round and was never the same again.
                Last edited by BennyST; 11-25-2012, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Joel Diaz jr. vs. fellow green fighter Guy Robb. Both men were great prospects coming into this fight according to the commentators. Guy Robb and Diaz jr. are still great prospects IMO.

Comment

Holyfield vs Qawi

Comment

Roberto Duran against Davey Moore.

Comment

Working...
                      X