No announcement yet.

VIDEO TUTORIAL: The Shoulder Roll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEO TUTORIAL: The Shoulder Roll

This is a short video I made on the basics of the shoulder roll and how to use it.

The basics:

Putting it all together:

The shoulder roll properly implemented:

The only punch in the round to connect was the left hook at 2:23. However, I had my chin properly braced, and it turned an otherwise flush connect into a glancing blow.

If anyone shows any interest, I will make a much more comprehensive series of videos in the gym chronicling the forgotten nuances of defensive boxing.

If anyone has any questions or needs something clarified, I am more than happy to answer them.

Comment

How come your're the best at everything? whats your secret?

Comment

Originally posted by TRANSWARP View Post
        I am not entirely sure, but I have a nagging suspicion that I might be a robot.

Comment

Can you only use it if your stance is with the left hand low?
          What do ya do with a jab?
          What can ya do about a left uppercut?

Good vid mate.

Comment

Originally posted by P4PKING_2008 View Post
            Can you only use it if your stance is with the left hand low?
            What do ya do with a jab?
            What can ya do about a left uppercut?

Good vid mate.
            No, It can be done with hands high. It can be done from the Winky Wall. I prefer the left hand low for the increased visibility it affords me. If you are comfortable with your hands high, all of these defensive techniques will still work.

There are four options with the jab. You can catch it, you can parry it, you can slip it, or you can roll left and block it.

Left uppercuts are not a problem. There are several ways to deal with them. It depends on what position you are in. I personally have never been hit with an uppercut. They are the easiest punch to see, and the easiest to avoid.

You can roll an uppercut blocking with your elbow. You can catch an uppercut. You can slip an uppercut, mostly, if you are in a tight shell, you will not have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              No, It can be done with hands high. It can be done from the Winky Wall. I prefer the left hand low for the increased visibility it affords me. If you are comfortable with your hands high, all of these defensive techniques will still work.

Thanks. I am gonna experiment with that style in sparring. I can't see **** coming with hands up. Which means I can't counter.

There are four options with the jab. You can catch it, you can parry it, you can slip it, or you can roll left and block it.

Thanks. I meant in the philly shell style. I noticed ya trainer was just throwing left hooks and right hands. How would in that style you get away from the jab? Or can ya still parry etc. with the left hand. Wait, I guess ya can lol.

Left uppercuts are not a problem. There are several ways to deal with them. It depends on what position you are in. I personally have never been hit with an uppercut. They are the easiest punch to see, and the easiest to avoid.

You can roll an uppercut blocking with your elbow. You can catch an uppercut. You can slip an uppercut, mostly, if you are in a tight shell, you will not have a problem with it.

Yeah, that seems the punch that I will mostly struggle with in the philly shell as it go through and up th body as there is high gaurd in place.
              Thanks mate.

Comment

Originally posted by P4PKING_2008 View Post
                Thanks. I meant in the philly shell style. I noticed ya trainer was just throwing left hooks and right hands. How would in that style you get away from the jab? Or can ya still parry etc. with the left hand. Wait, I guess ya can lol.
                I am not sure what you mean. He threw a lot more jabs than hooks. The jab is caught with the right glove. While it is possible to parry a jab with the left hand, its rather impractical in most situations.

As for anyone having trouble dealing with uppercuts, no-matter your defensive style, keep in mind that keeping your chin down, and looking down are not the same thing. Chin tucked is good, head down is not.

Comment

Might want to start fully extending your punches, reguarding the video on the mits.

Comment

Originally posted by TRANSWARP View Post
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You seem to know everything shawn. How come your not pro yet?

Turn pro and save boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X