No announcement yet.

If khan unifies the division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
    It would be a massive achievement to unify the division but you have to see it in the context of the opposition. A win over Bradley would be impressive but lets face it is not like he has to beat the likes of Pryor, Chevez or Tszyu.
    who did pyror beat for the titles? old cervantes

maidana is legit

bradley is legit and alexandra

people try down grade modern day fighters but there fantastic

Comment

I think khan is kinda struggling to make 140 now hence them moving up to 147 at the end of the year, he certainly would be one of the greats.

In my opinion he will unify with ease, I also see him fighting against berto for the wbc belt in his first or second 147 fight. The problem is Pac, he holds the wbo title doesnt he? I am sure khan has ambitions to unify 147 if he can do it to 140

Comment

i dont think the division has weak champions, its just that back in the day, fighters like tszyu, chavez were known for there power and heart, nowadays its more about skill, speed, its just s different type of champions now, not weak ones though.

Comment

Originally posted by acdc View Post
          i dont think the division has weak champions, its just that back in the day, fighters like tszyu, chavez were known for there power and heart, nowadays its more about skill, speed, its just s different type of champions now, not weak ones though.
          Tszyu and Chavez had good skills however. They were better fighters than anyone at 140 now.

Tszyu was a very skilled boxer as an amateur and used those skills as a pro. Excellent at timing opponents, controlling tempo, good bodypuncher, terrific straight right hand. His right hand was actually pretty fast in younger years. He got kind of slow once the 2000s started.

Chavez was heavy-handed, but lost some power at 140. He had modest speed, but a terrific skillset. It just wasn't that when some people think of skills, they sometimes get the visual of some guy that has to be on the backfoot or moving laterally, using his jab to maintain distance. Chavez was a top-notch ring-cutter. Despite slower feet, his footwork was infinitely better than some like Khan, because footwork is much more about foot placement. He threw fluid, accurate, well-placed combinations with leverage. He moved his head effectively to either slip, or roll with shots. He had a nice heavy jab which he often used when pressuring fighters. He was effective at mid-range and on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
            Tszyu and Chavez had good skills however. They were better fighters than anyone at 140 now.

Tszyu was a very skilled boxer as an amateur and used those skills as a pro. Excellent at timing opponents, controlling tempo, good bodypuncher, terrific straight right hand. His right hand was actually pretty fast in younger years. He got kind of slow once the 2000s started.

Chavez was heavy-handed, but lost some power at 140. He had modest speed, but a terrific skillset. It just wasn't that when some people think of skills, they sometimes get the visual of some guy that has to be on the backfoot or moving laterally, using his jab to maintain distance. Chavez was a top-notch ring-cutter. Despite slower feet, his footwork was infinitely better than some like Khan, because footwork is much more about foot placement. He threw fluid, accurate, well-placed combinations with leverage. He moved his head effectively to either slip, or roll with shots. He had a nice heavy jab which he often used when pressuring fighters. He was effective at mid-range and on the inside.
            Tszyu was a good fighter but he is a bit overrated imo. The last great group of 140 lbers was when it was Cotto, Hatton, Tsyzu and Mayweather, there could've really been a great series there, but they seemed reluctant to face a pre-superstar in Mayweather(arguably his best weight class along with 130). Only a few years ago but very interesting times they were, many of the 2nd tier fighters could beat the current 140 crop.

Comment

The division is stacked. Arguably the deepest division in boxing. If he becomes undisputed, he's a boxing legend. Not sure if he will though.

Comment

If he unifies then he belongs.

Beating Alex/Bradley would give him the WBA, AND ALSO WBC IF ALEX WINS (Apparently Bradley won't keep the WBC?)

IBF RANKING:

VACANT TITLE.

1. MABUZA
                2. JUDAH
                3. ORTIZ
                4. CAYO
                5. URANGO
                6. PETERSON
                7. COLEMAN
                8. MATTHYSE
                9. MALLIAGI
                10. LOPEZ

Kotelnik at 13 and Maidana I don't even see him LOL.

So I assume Judah or Mabuza will have the IBF, and beating them would be OK win.

Comment

If Bradley beats Alexander (like I think he will), he'd only keep the WBO title because he hasn't paid the sanctioning fees for the WBC title.

The WBC would be vacant and the IBF would be contested between Judah and Mabuza.

Khan beats Bradley imo, meaning he'd unify the WBA and WBO titles, and become Ring Magazine/Lineal Champion and top 10 P4P.

But in effect, he would be undisputed champion because if the Bradley-Alexandey bout had the WBC, WBO and IBF titles on the line and Bradley won them all, Khan would have unified all of the divisions titles. It's not like Alexander lost his IBF title in the ring, and Bradley chose not to take the WBC title.

Khan would be the rightful owner of all 4 titles (well, Andriy Kotelnik is the rightful WBC and IBF champion after beating Alexander, but Khan's already whooped him).

Comment

Working...
                  X