No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BScene’s 2011 Year End Awards: Comeback of The Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BScene’s 2011 Year End Awards: Comeback of The Year

By Jake Donovan - Everything about James Kirkland’s 2011 campaign was a comeback.

The year first began as a return to the ring for the first time since 2009, with Kirkland spending time in prison after getting popped on a weapons charge, a violation of the terms of his probation from a prior sentence. Two wins over tomato can-level opposition paved the way for a high profile pay-per-view undercard appearance on a show topped by Marcos Maidana’s gutsy points win over Erik Morales.

About an hour or so before Maidana and Morales would wage war in an event that figures to be mentioned in Fight of the Year discussion, Kirkland found himself on the wrong end of another award “winning” moment. Lightly regarded journeyman Nohubiro Ishida was brought in as cannon fodder, but caught an ill-prepared Kirkland at the right time in the fight and his career, drilling the Texan early en route to a shocking three-knockdown first round stoppage for the first and – to date – only loss of his career.

The bout was Kirkland’s third in the span of just over a month, but it appeared as if the comeback was all but done. Sure there would be work to be found for the 27-year old southpaw, but any discussion surrounding his potentially returning to contention would be dismissed as nonsense.

That was, until Kirkland swallowed his pride and took note of what – and more specifically, who - was missing in his career. [Click Here To Read More]

I could be wrong, but didn't Morales ask to fight Maidana after Marquez had dropped out?

Comment

Antonio Tarver should be on the Honorable Mention list as well.

Comment

Kirkland deserves this.

Comment

Originally posted by sananman50 View Post
          I was gonna mention him too. . .

Comment

Originally posted by lazy View Post
            Kirkland deserves this.
            hell yea!!!!

good read btw

Comment

yeah no doubt JK deserves this. . . after losing to a guy he was like a 30 something favorite over, and coming back to beat a guy he was like a 4-1 'dog against. . . angulo is a MONSTER, and kirkland broke him down like a shotgun. . .

Comment

Originally posted by sananman50 View Post
                could've been, should've been... but didn't receive any votes.
                He had a nice win over Green, but I'm not sure it trumps anything accomplished by those who made the final cut. Not saying it isn't a worthy comeback - it is. But the list has to end somewhere, so why not at the point where guys don't receive votes?

Comment

I really don't agree with giving a fighter comeback of the year honors who has a loss in the year he's being awarded for. I think Arce runs away with it this year, while B-Hop certainly deserves an honorable mention

Comment

Viloria gets my vote.

Comment

Working...
                    X