Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Arum/Top Rank have no leverage with HBO or Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see how some are rejoicing over a great fight being turned down. This is isn't a good sign of what's to come. No one is putting up good matchups not HBO not Showtime, not PBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
      The good thing for Haymon is that Stephen Espinoza likes to suck his dick...without him he'd be in the same boat arum is now with the networks not wanting to pay crazy money for the fights..

What I can't understand is why HBO wouldn't want a great fight like Walters-Lomo or Crawford-Postol yet they'll air all the mismatches...I guess HBO is just all about building their stars and not competitive fights anymore..
      You said it, bro. Lomo-Walters, Crawford-Postol are a no brainer. Great fights.

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
        So... it's public knowledge that HBO turned down Walters-Lomanchenko.

He wants to sell the fight to Showtime... but who is the next highest bidder for the fight?

NOBODY.

Showtime should offer $400k max for the fight and watch Arum do nothing lol.
        It is not pubic knowledge. It is a rumor spread on boxing message boards and social media. No one knows what is going on. Lomachenko/Walters would be the best and most competitive fight of the year among top tier boxers and HBO would love to have this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Heru View Post
          I don't want to wait to see how successful PBC is before I'm onboard. There's 50+ years of evidence of boxing under Arum and his ilk; their companies need to crumble and PBC will be the catalyst.

The PBC model is the route boxing should move in to thrive. For the sport to reach its peak in competition/popularity there can't be multiple providers (NFL/USFL, NBA/ABA, MLB/Negro Leagues, UFC/Pride/Strikeforce). For the professional sports league model to work it has to have a monopoly of top talent in the respective sport and PBC is making its move.

As evidenced by the diminishing HBO budget/dates, the failed Tru TV deal, and the series GBP has on FS2, Top Rank and GBP haven't adjusted and it's getting late. Instead of investing in the sport by getting a time buy or forming a BoxNation-like platform themselves, Arum and co. are looking for another host to leech off of.

PBC has obstacles it has to maneuver around like the Ali Act (ironic that the Act implemented to curb the abusive practices of Arum, King, Duva, etc. are the ones they're trying to use to stop PBC) and litigation revolving around this move, but once Top Rank and GBP lose there lawsuits (and they will lose) and HBO bows out of boxing, they will crumble (merger/buyout/bankruptcy).
          It'll all be in Haymon's hands soon. Hopefully it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
            Well his mouth put him in this situation to be honest. He is bad mouthing Peter Nelson every chance he gets and he also bashed Showtime in the past, when he does things like that why should either of them open their checkbook for him?

Yes I get it those are good fights and we all want to see them but it doesn't help when the Promoter of those fighters does nothing but bash the guy who is running things at HBO
            Can't be said any better. Kudos to you.

Comment

I don't want to wait to see how successful PBC is before I'm onboard.
              The PBC model is the route boxing should move in to thrive.).
              Is the PBC thriving?

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                It is not pubic knowledge. It is a rumor spread on boxing message boards and social media. No one knows what is going on. Lomachenko/Walters would be the best and most competitive fight of the year among top tier boxers and HBO would love to have this fight.
                No Rafeal has reported about it as well as others. Arum spoke on it multiple times also.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                  And they're the main barrier preventing Stevenson/Kovalev, Crawford/Garcia, GGG/Jacobs, etc.

Exclusive network deals kill fights. It's time for them to go. They are preventing the sport from evolving.
                  Agreed.

I wanna Roy, Lampley and Max to get a job with PBC or Showtime at least. HBO is becoming the channel of mismatches, because of their boxing budget.

The trio from HBO on an NBC or CBS afternoon or evening would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                    It'll all be in Haymon's hands soon. Hopefully it works out.
                    Hopefully
                    Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
                    Is the PBC thriving?
                    Should I elaborate on this?
                    The PBC model is the route boxing should move in to thrive. For the sport to reach its peak in competition/popularity there can't be multiple providers (NFL/USFL, NBA/ABA, MLB/Negro Leagues, UFC/Pride/Strikeforce). For the professional sports league model to work it has to have a monopoly of top talent in the respective sport and PBC is making its move.

Comment

Hopefully

Should I elaborate on this?
                      Nope, I got your point. Haymon has the market almost cornered.

Other promoters associated with him (Mayweather Promo, for example) are putting on very good fights, like the Broner fight, and it's on Spike, a channel many have. You can also stream it in HD for free. I always do on my PC. DiBella and others are also not complaining. K2 has no issues with PBC. Fighters are happy.

The Mayweather Promo undercard is good too. I'm mostly interested in the Gervonta Davis fight only. He's my favorite fighter after Floyd retired (and Spence). I'd actually call him a contender now, not a prospect anymore. Tonight I youtubed the guy he is fighting next, Avila. I see a great fight. Gervonta is the boxer to watch on this telecast, not Broner so much (no disrespect).

The Mayweather Promotions press today was smooth and to the point. I soon see Floyd promoting most Haymon fighters. The master plan seems to be panning out, with Richard Schaefer in the mix soon (my guess).

War Boxing

[I must insist Haymon employ some HBO broadcasters, like Lampley, Roy, Max, and others! LOL.]
                      Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 03-01-2016, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X