Report: Strikeforce revenue reaches $30 million for 2010-11 fiscal year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Strikeforce revenue reaches $30 million for 2010-11 fiscal year

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/2/8/198...11-fiscal-year

UFC President Dana White might want to take his Strikeforce tombstone off layaway.

That's because a report from Silicon alley / San Jose Business Journal (dissected by MMA Payout) has Scott Coker and his MMA fight brand (co-owned by Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment) generating up to $30 million in revenue for the 2010-11 fiscal year.

And unless 29 of it was spent on acquiring Fedor Emelianenko and his M-1 cohorts, it's hard to imagine that Strikeforce isn't turning a profit -- or at the very least breaking even.

While those numbers make Strikeforce look like a cymbal-banging monkey toy compared to the 800-pound gorilla known as Zuffa, consider that Coker and Co. only scratched out four million in 2006.

From the "Payout Perspective:"

Star-divide

Main source of income are ticket sales, sponsorships, and most importantly, television licensing. Back in 2009, Strikeforce signed a TV deal with Showtime, which MMA insiders said the promotion would make $25 million in licensing fees over the course of the three-year deal, which runs into 2012. The deal was made after Strikeforce purchased assets from Showtime’s previous MMA partner, ProElite for $3 million, which included roughly 42 fighter contracts and a video library of 20 live events to name a few.

Strikeforce has already planned an ambitious 2011 fight campaign including a heavyweight grand prix tournament that begins this Saturday night (Feb. 12) in East Rutherford, NJ, featuring a headlining bout (and quarterfinal match-up) between Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva.

A late summer/early fall pay-per-view has also been discussed.

Now it's time for feedback Maniacs. Do these numbers make it more appealing for free agent fighters worried about their futures? Or should these figures be taken with a grain of salt? Can the ship be taking on water in spite of these numbers?

While still far from perfect, Strikeforce always delivers entertaining fights.

Anyone have an argument to the contrary?

strikeforce are gonna grow 100x over the next ten years due to CBS and Showtime now becoming 'regular and re-occuring' partners

Comment

if you follow boxing and compare the state its in to MMA, its hard not to be a little worried that it could be a downhill slide that ends up with everyone cashing in and putting on bull**** events like Golden Boy do for example, were the undercard is woefully bad and the main event rarely lives up to expectations.

if anyone remembers the early series of TUF, they were full of guys that would go straight into strikeforce or the UFC now without having to compete on the show, and TUF is now filled with alot more amateurs [in a sense]. Also its easy to see that guys with just one skill are being edged out of the sport by the guys who are learning all aspects of MMA right from the start, or at least before they start making waves. I really think their is enough talent to go around, and orgs like Bellator are not only a great proving ground for up and coming talent, they also allow really good fighters to build a small legacy before presumably signing with one of the bigger orgs. Eddie Alvarez is a perfect example of that. Maybe he will stay with Bellator but i think its almost inevitable that a co-event will be held with strikeforce and possibly even dream [which already holds them with strikeforce]

What the UFC offers is alot of fight cards stacked with different levels of talent with alot of care taken to make it competitive, which isnt always what fight fans want. but it IS consistent. What strikeforce offer is alot different. Female fighters, the co-events pitting their fighters against the best dream has to offer, giving alot of coverage to Japanese, and other asian fighters. Plus they make exciting matchups to sell the show, even though sometimes they are complete miss matches.

The fact that they are so different makes me think their is room for both of them in the sport. and all the others too. The only negative for me is that Dana has made it known publicly how he feels about them.

Yes the UFC has done the most work for MMA worldwide, but at the end of the day, they dont own MMA and I'd prefer if they just went about their business without all the bull****. This isnt all Dana either, everyone likes to takes shots at him and the UFC and never seem to give credit where credit is due.

I wouldnt be surprised if strikeforce was losing money, they have offered big money to get fighters on their books. Hopefully over time, they will be able to implement a more stable pay structure, as their talent pool grows. Fighters want to be in strikeforce and that can only be good for them in the future.

EDIT: **** me, i cant believe i just wrote all that :P
      seemed shorted in the edit box
      Last edited by Zn1; 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Pretty cool news.

The numbers are relatively small, but lets not forget that pre-the ultimate fighter UFC was approximately $50M in the hole before the big turnaround.

IMO Strikeforce puts on a quality product and I would love to see them continue having success.

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
          Pretty cool news.

The numbers are relatively small, but lets not forget that pre-the ultimate fighter UFC was approximately $50M in the hole before the big turnaround.

IMO Strikeforce puts on a quality product and I would love to see them continue having success.
          THIS

im down!!!

Comment

Vet, did you watch that KO-fest they had event before last?

Comment

anyone going this saturday?

i got a couple of tickets. should be interesting to see the difference between a live ufc event and a live strikeforce event. never been to a strikeforce event

Comment

Working...
              X