Angulo
    And got a draw on one score card against Floyd Mayweather

On the other hand

All of his wins are generally tainted

Mosley was old
    Some believe he lost against Trout, LARA
    Angulo, not sure

How do you rank his resume?

The names are nice. The circumstances behind the wins are what make him a talented but clearly b level fighter. He's a good young fighter. But he lacks the special qualities and he has yet to define himself as an elite fighter.
    Last edited by Kagami Taiga; 10-08-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

It's a solid beginning for a still young fighter. While the Trout and Lara fights are certainly controversial, and in both cases those guys were screwed by corrupt judging, it's not like Alvarez didn't have his own case for winning.

I know people see the 40+ fights and think it should be better, but he's an example of a fighter learning on the job. Believe me, I've been hard on the ginger but he's done well for himself since taking that big step with Trout.

Comment

canelo's resume is overrated. only good win is lara and that's highly disputed (i had lara winning as did a lot of sports journalists).

trout was an okay win but nothing very note worthy (and i had trout winning).

angulo looked completely shot and was a no defense punching bag. i don't understand why people talk about the angulo win like it means anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          It's a solid beginning for a still young fighter. While the Trout and Lara fights are certainly controversial, and in both cases those guys were screwed by corrupt judging, it's not like Alvarez didn't have his own case for winning.

I know people see the 40+ fights and think it should be better, but he's an example of a fighter learning on the job. Believe me, I've been hard on the ginger but he's done well for himself since taking that big step with Trout.
          Pretty much this....I don't know it just seems like there's something missing or something. Maybe it's just the stamina thing, but it almost seems like he lacks killer instinct or something.

Comment

No clue how he became a "superstar" in boxing. Havent seen anything special in any of his performances. Jose Cotto seriously hurt him in round 1 of their fight. Canelo has good marketing and pr behind him.
            Last edited by Crazylegs77; 10-08-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post

Well when u have guys who learn after much less and who fight at a high level at thecsamw age or younger, it's hard to blame them. Esp since Canelo gets the hype he does (or did anyways).

Comment

It's alright for his age.

I thought Lara won pretty clearly and the Trout fight was a toss-up. Then there is the boxing lesson from Mayweather.

He beat a washed up Shane, battered a faded Angulo and the rest of his wins are meh.

Still, the only fight he has been totally outclassed in was against Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shmurda View Post
                  The names are nice. The circumstances behind the wins are what make him a talented but clearly b level fighter. He's a good young fighter. But he lacks the special qualities and he has yet to define himself as an elite fighter.
                  B Level?????

C Level fighters have bested both Lara and Trout......................

Let me break down his resume............Canelo's resume is frivolous he has a blatant gift vs Tyner people seem to want to ignore, he struggled and underwhelmed vs Hatton, nearly got dropped by Jose Cotto and expect him to beat Miguel, he got bloodied and outworked to the finish line by a completely shot Mosley, Trout win was contested, he got beat into a fetal position by a small WW and quit basically vs Floyd, GB ****ery saved him when the fight started vs Angulo, and he nearly lost Lara who was only throwing like 10 punches a round........................

His names mean nothing he's all smoke and mirrors, plus from watching him closely his power is suspect, he aint have at WW and he only really showed it vs a JWW in Lopez..........

Bottom line is he's a completely average fighter, and his tape proves this time and time again
                  Last edited by sbbigmike; 10-08-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shmurda View Post
                    Well when u have guys who learn after much less and who fight at a high level at thecsamw age or younger, it's hard to blame them. Esp since Canelo gets the hype he does (or did anyways).
                    Yeah, and I get why fans resent the hype. There was never any question of whether Alvarez would be a star, regardless of what happens in the ring outside of him getting knocked out over and over. That should upset fans.

He's started to fight the kind of fights you expect from a star, and he's holding his own. As long as he keeps doing so, I don't have a problem with him.

Comment

Working...
                    X