Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto at his peak. Would you consider him a GREAT fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timboslice708 View Post
    To be honest. I don't truly count any of his fights post Margarito fight. If you saw the Luis Resto documentary, you realize how got damn tough Cotto is for even continuing to be among the best in boxing.
    Why? What happen to Cotto in the Resto documentary?

Comment

if he has great stamina, you will never know

Comment

Close but no cigar.

Comment

He's a solid B level fighter who had the backing of a big national following and the a great promoter/matchmaker to get him the right fights. Good fighter, but nowhere close to great.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            the cotto that ko'd gianluco branco would ko anybody!
            except Paulie Malignaggi 3 months later

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
            Floyd and Pacquiao are great fighters. De La Hoya is a great fighter who lost his biggest fights. Cotto is not a great fighter but he fought some great fighters and put up a great fight.
            Why does De La Hoya get a pass for being a great fighter yet Cotto doesn't? I don't think either are tbh.

Comment

Why cant Cotto be considerd great, when Floyd is great? Im assuming if this thread was about Floyd he would be considered great am i right?

Cotto beat a prime SSM which is better than anything Floyd has beat! Who did Floyd beat that is better than anything Cotto did btw? And has floyd beat anyone Cotto wouldnt?

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Hunt View Post
                Cotto wasa a great fighter and ran into plaster hands Margarito. I am certain Margarito had loaded gloves in that fight and Cotto was never the same afterwards.
                You can't have it both ways-in case you don't know. Yoi're saying that Cotto was a great fighter until he ran into Margarito. At first sight it looks plausible, but....wait a moment.

What did he do before the Margarito fight so as to be classed as a great fighter. The answer is ...Nothing. He showed he was a very good fighter, and he consistently shows this, both before and after Margarito. This causes me to feel that, since I don't believe, and there is absolutely no evidence that Margarito had plaster loaded gloves, (apart from a couple of used gauze pads which had dried a "little stiff in spots as the Commissioner said) it looks to me that Cotto has ceen consistently very much the same as always. He loses because he'fighting a better man, like most of us have done.

Comment

nah he lost to mosley and clottey imo and that's when he was prime

Comment

I would rate him a very good fighter for sure. I am just as sure he is not a great fighter.

Comment

I think he is as good as can be without being across that line where you consider him great, he is good to the highest degree but not one of these once in a generation fighters that come along. I say this and I am a big fan of his, he is just missing some extra dimension to him.

Comment

Working...
                      X