Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who won Benn Eubank 2 in 1993 and what next?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terrible... View Post
    i dont think it was so much a bad style match up for Benn

as you say he had adapted his game but IMO Nunn would still have found it difficult to defend himself from Benn's attacks because of that low rolling style Nunn would have struggled punching down IMO and he would had trouble seeing Benn's counters coming over the top due to his height etc i think the fight would be close than people think Benn was not the preasure fighter he was but he could still trap the less mobile Nunn on the ropes IMO and bang away
    If Benn came out and pressured Nunn at that point, he would win but that wasn't his mentality at that point, he was trying to outbox his opponents much more, which would have been the wrong thing to do against Nunn, Nunn didn't have trouble punching down either, I don't think he ever had that problem, Nunn vs Curry was a perfect example of this. Benn would always have his power of course, especially in the left hook, which is the punch Nunn was most susceptible to.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
      If Benn came out and pressured Nunn at that point, he would win but that wasn't his mentality at that point, he was trying to outbox his opponents much more, which would have been the wrong thing to do against Nunn, Nunn didn't have trouble punching down either, I don't think he ever had that problem, Nunn vs Curry was a perfect example of this. Benn would always have his power of course, especially in the left hook, which is the punch Nunn was most susceptible to.

i thought he got nailed whilst punching down at Toney and whilst it may seem a strange thing to say Benn' style was more like Toney's than Curry's in terms of lots of upper body movement trying to roll with punches and come over the top it was IMO in that sense and that is why i would give Benn a good shot at Nunn i think Nunn was well past his best by then

a prime Nunn would have whipped Benn but i dont see that version of Nunn beating him so easily i have no problem with anyone thinking Nunn could win but he would not win decisive or wide IMO

Scully outhussled him when he was out of his prime aswell but i take your point Benn had adapted his style from that pressure fighter but i just feel Nunn was not the fighter he was

Comment

i thought he got nailed whilst punching down at Toney and whilst it may seem a strange thing to say Benn' style was more like Toney's than Curry's in terms of lots of upper body movement trying to roll with punches and come over the top it was IMO in that sense and that is why i would give Benn a good shot at Nunn i think Nunn was well past his best by then

a prime Nunn would have whipped Benn but i dont see that version of Nunn beating him so easily i have no problem with anyone thinking Nunn could win but he would not win decisive or wide IMO

Scully outhussled him when he was out of his prime aswell but i take your point Benn had adapted his style from that pressure fighter but i just feel Nunn was not the fighter he was
        Nunn wasn't the same fighter after the Toney fight but he was still a very good fighter, just not on the same level as he was pre-Toney, you and I both know Toney is much better at what he does than Benn. Benn still got hit quite a lot when he adapted his style, although he didn't get hit nearly as much as he did before he adapted his style.

I never said it would have been easy, it would be a tough fight for him but I think he pulls it out in the end, 8-4 in rounds with him maybe getting knocked down along the way by something that Benn lands, making it close on the cards but Nunn wins for me, styles make fights, Nunn's style would give Benn more trouble than vice versa.

Comment

Nunn wasn't the same fighter after the Toney fight but he was still a very good fighter, just not on the same level as he was pre-Toney, you and I both know Toney is much better at what he does than Benn. Benn still got hit quite a lot when he adapted his style, although he didn't get hit nearly as much as he did before he adapted his style.

I never said it would have been easy, it would be a tough fight for him but I think he pulls it out in the end, 8-4 in rounds with him maybe getting knocked down along the way by something that Benn lands, making it close on the cards but Nunn wins for me, styles make fights, Nunn's style would give Benn more trouble than vice versa.

fair enough

but i think Toney v Benn is whats known as a bad style match up

Benn v Nunn hangs on a few intangible as to which way the fight swings IMO that is why i dont see it as a bad style match up for Benn who is to say Benn does not adapt in the fight and revert back to his more aggresive preassure fighting style because he is having more success that way

i think its a 50/50 fight but i can see Nunn winning also so

Comment

fair enough

but i think Toney v Benn is whats known as a bad style match up

Benn v Nunn hangs on a few intangible as to which way the fight swings IMO that is why i dont see it as a bad style match up for Benn who is to say Benn does not adapt in the fight and revert back to his more aggresive preassure fighting style because he is having more success that way

i think its a 50/50 fight but i can see Nunn winning also so
            I agree, it depends on what one or the other does in the fight, I still think Nunn is a bad styles matchup for Benn though, he would ways give him a lot of trouble.

Comment

I agree, it depends on what one or the other does in the fight, I still think Nunn is a bad styles matchup for Benn though, he would ways give him a lot of trouble.

fair play Silencers its good deabting with you bud

if Nunn kept his head in Boxing he could have been one of the greatest fighters of AT its a real shame whats happened to him he was great fighter but he could of been even better

i called him an underachiever which he probably was and someone pointed out to me that he did achieve quite a lot in his time and they were right he beat a lot of good names Curry,Barkley,Kalambay,Tate, Starling,Roldan

Comment

fair play Silencers its good deabting with you bud

if Nunn kept his head in Boxing he could have been one of the greatest fighters of AT its a real shame whats happened to him he was great fighter but he could of been even better

i called him an underachiever which he probably was and someone pointed out to me that he did achieve quite a lot in his time and they were right he beat a lot of good names Curry,Barkley,Kalambay,Tate, Starling,Roldan
                It's always good debating with you man.

I agree, Nunn had the potential to be one of the greatest but he never reached that level, shame really.

He did achieve quite a lot, his destruction of Kalambay was totally unexpected.

Comment

It's always good debating with you man.

I agree, Nunn had the potential to be one of the greatest but he never reached that level, shame really.

He did achieve quite a lot, his destruction of Kalambay was totally unexpected.
                  cheers

that has to be one of the best counter punches ever ,i watched Kalambay school the **** outta McCallum in thier first fight so to see Nunn do that Jeez

great shot

Comment

i was suprised when Eubank got the victory, though i've never scored it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Barndog View Post
                      i was suprised when Eubank got the victory, though i've never scored it myself.
                      that is biased commentry for ya or getting caught up in the moment

if i remember rightly Barry McGuigan had Eubank winning the first 5 rounds

Comment

Working...
                      X