Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of a difference is there taking a punch from 16oz gloves to 8oz gloves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a difference is there taking a punch from 16oz gloves to 8oz gloves?

Is there a huge difference from taking punches in sparring from 16oz gloves to taking punches from 8oz gloves in an actual fight?

What are your experiences from noticing the difference when you first felt punches with 8oz gloves?

Floyd would approve of 16oz & wont let you use 8oz - that's the difference

I'm guessing there's a huge difference..there's double the padding in the 16oz one, can't imagine fighters at 147 & below breaking their hands using a 16oz glove

Comment

I meant in terms of actual sparring and fighting etc by people on here who have tasted both.

I've tasted punches from 16oz gloves for a while now but have yet to take a punch from someone wearing 8oz or even 10oz gloves as far as i'm aware.

Will probably find out myself in due time anyway how it feels to take a punch from 8/10oz gloves but just thought i'd see what the chaps on here who already have felt the difference have to say.

Comment

I prefer taking punches from 12oz rather than 16oz. If someone is a higher weight then 16oz gloves have a clubbing effect. 12oz has less padding obviously but that's better imo because there is less of a clubbing effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
          Is there a huge difference from taking punches in sparring from 16oz gloves to taking punches from 8oz gloves in an actual fight?

What are your experiences from noticing the difference when you first felt punches with 8oz gloves?
          M1 = 16 oz; M2 = 8 oz

difference in taking the punch is about ( CubicRoot(M1/M2)) ^2 ~ 1.59 times according to my theory

Comment

It depends whose fist is in the glove!!! A heavy hand will hurt either way.
            The speed can increase using an 8oz and that's adding power. The 16oz is adding weight so the heavy hand just got heavier!!!
            Glove size has more meaning on the defensive side. The 8oz covers less and must be more precise if hand blocking is employed. The 16oz will be easier to cover up with and you can catch a piece of a glove if your not precise with technique on defense.

You never use an 8oz in sparring to begin with. Most fighters use 14/16/18/!

Comment

never boxed in 8oz, only 10oz amateur gloves. in the gym where i spent the most time they always used 12oz (i had 14oz), which wasnt a huge difference from 10oz fight gloves. you do feel the difference though, mainly when partially blocking shots as they slip through a lot easier. also when getting hit in the face, jaw not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                The speed can increase using an 8oz and that's adding power. The 16oz is adding weight so the heavy hand just got heavier!!!
                Glove size has more meaning on the defensive side. The 8oz covers less and must be more precise if hand blocking is employed. The 16oz will be easier to cover up with and you can catch a piece of a glove if your not precise with technique on defense.

That's fantastic info as always Ray, thank you very much.

And yeah, i've been using 16oz gloves in sparring and my sparring partners have also been using 16oz, never sparred with anything lower so was intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post

Also Ray another quick question for you and anyone else who wishes to answer...any tips or ways to pick up on if you are yourself a heavy hitter?

Like any little hints or signs you carry decent power without having been boxing long enough to have KO'd people or hurt people in sparring yet etc?

In sparring i've never actually gone all out with a single punch i can rememeber...is that the wrong mentality to have? From what i've seen and studied sparring is meant to be good work for the both of us, so i always hold back a little power...even if sometimes it seems like the other guy is trying to land some heavy shots.

Is there any signs or ways to find out? My punches sound better on the pads than a few of the other lads i train with...? Is that a good way of telling or does that sound silly to ya?

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                    never boxed in 8oz, only 10oz amateur gloves. in the gym where i spent the most time they always used 12oz (i had 14oz), which wasnt a huge difference from 10oz fight gloves. you do feel the difference though, mainly when partially blocking shots as they slip through a lot easier. also when getting hit in the face, jaw not so much.
                    Yeah, never really thought of it on the defensive side, especially since i have a bad habit of just covering my head with my gloves sometimes when taking punches...i supposed that would be much more difficult and less effective with smaller gloves.

Comment

Working...
                    X