Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I noticed Tyson slipped from the waist alot and not from the hips, was that a mistake

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed this too, but I would not factor in the possibility of it being a mistake. Yeah there are basic ways of executing boxing related movements, but everyone does it their own way if you know what I mean. I would look different slipping punches in comparison to you for example...

It is worth mention also that Tyson slipping shots in his earlier days was beautiful at times, something worked right for him! Bending side to side from the waist creates more of a 'bobbing' movement, moving from the hips and gives you more of a 'leaning' movement...I am sure Cus D'Amato was behind this teaching in those days because they had as great an emphasis on Mike avoiding shots as they did him attacking, but who knows, maybe its just they way Mike felt best doing it. Something about it was right either way!

Comment

Tyson working on his slipping:

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Tyson working on his slipping:

great find thanks bro

Comment

Cus was all about proactive defense.

'The head aint ever where you seen it last' something like that. Cus didn't believe in reacting to a punch. He thought that reaction took away from offense, the mind becomes focused on avoiding the punch. By the constant with movement that is ingrained the fighter can put his mental focus into countering.
          Last edited by GTTofAK; 10-13-2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GTTofAK View Post
            Cus was all about proactive defense.

'The head aint ever where it seen it last' something like that. Cus didn't believe in reacting to a punch. He thought that reaction took away from offense, the mind becomes focused on avoiding the punch. By the constant movement that is ingrained the fighter can put his mental focus into countering.
            thats brilliant thanks, so its faster and probably more successful to avoid in advance than to avoid in reaction to a punch, more energy consuming I presume too but well worth knowing thanks for that tip

Comment

he did both a lot.

Comment

Different moves work for different body types.

Comment

Tyson fought in a unique style, with his hands touching his cheeks known as the Peek A Boo style, his side to side slipping was just a factor of that style followed by staying low. I personally use the Peek A Boo style myself as I'm simply just used to it(been using it for years). The side to side movement I find is just better for my body type and fighting taller guys. Tyson being a shorter heavyweight (5'10") would utilize this style to its fullest.

When you're slipping in this style you need to remember 4 things staying low, constant head movement as you come in, chin tucked in all the way, and of course the side to side movement. Textbook slipping says to slip to the right to avoid a jab, Peek a boo slipping says slip to the left to avoid the jab, then roll under the right hand when it comes, example: if there's a jab right hand right hand x2, ideally you slip left, roll under then slip right.

As you can see it's a very different style and is only suited for certain fighters, honestly the best fighters to utilize this are shorter in -fighters in a division with taller fighters, who hold that explosive style of punching. As you literally become a spring for your round punches (hooks uppercuts) as you move constantly from the waist and are low.

Hope I helped matey!

Comment

Working...
                  X