No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Son Also Rises: Chavez Closes The Show in Houston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: The Son Also Rises: Chavez Closes The Show in Houston

By Jake Donovan - Regardless of what anyone thought of the fight taking place on a network as prestigious as HBO, the feeling going in to the middleweight title bout between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Peter Manfredo was going to be action packed for however long it lasted.

A fun fight was exactly what was offered on Saturday evening, much to the delight of the rabid crowd of approximately 5,000 fans on hand at the Reliant Arena in Houston, Texas. Even more of a treat for the heavily-Mexican attended event was the ending, which saw Chavez Jr make the first successful defense of his title with a fifth round stoppage of Manfredo in their televised main event.

Both fighters came within the middleweight limit. Manfredo Jr was 159.4 lb, rehydrating to 178 lb by fight night. Chavez was a fit 159.8 lb at the weigh-in, gaining nearly 20 lb by the opening bell. [Click Here To Read More]

Chavez beat a janitor, not too impressed. he needs to fight one of his mandatories whether it's Martinez or Rubio. then we'll see if he's good.

Martinez will end his career so we'll never see that. I can't wait til the Puto CHvaez gets exposed

Comment

lol was expected

Comment

chavez-martinez will be great...

i hope their handlers will agree...

Comment

and jcc defends his title succesfully

Comment

Chavez, THE most protected boxer in our sport has a big problem...Next? What's WBC/Arum/JCC to do, he has to fight either #1 or mandatory, both tko losses for Jr, you big fraud and phony...

Comment

stoppage was a little early... I mean if kirkland can come back why shouldn't manfredo get a chance to come back.

Comment

andy lee v chavez would be a great fight....lee would hammer chavez i think..

Comment

Originally posted by kimmiblob View Post
                  and jcc defends his title succesfully
                  You mean jcc successfully defends martinez's title. It is a joke that he has a belt.

Comment

man, i'm liking this kid more and more after each fight. looks like he MAY be thinking too much in there as to whether he should employ his style or what roach is teaching him and against the elite that could be crippling. another thing, chavez used to look a LOT more accurate with his shots a couple years ago. in any case, i like him against guys like kirkland and canelo.

Comment

Working...
                    X