Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your scorecard after 12 rounds in Leonard-Hearns 1???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hearns was leading

Comment

That fight i remember watching with my dad and my uncles when i was a kid the things i remembered for that time was that was one of the worst referee jobs in a major fight ever, Richard Pryor in his white suit and sunglasses standing up cheering every time SRL had a rally, and me being to the point of tears because at the time i hated SRL and wanted him to loose so bad i could taste it.

Hell of a night, that was big time boxing.

I had SRL down by 3 at the time of the stoppage.

Comment

In their first fight Tommy was slowly fading abit but was in control of the scoring! You always grew concerned with Tommys stamina and if his skinny legs were going to hold him up if fatique and strong punches started raining!
        Well to Leonards credit and Dundee's ability to get Leonard driving harder Tommy got caught by a hard fighting Leonard and was stopped in a very competitive and fan friendly bout!!!
        Tommy got screwed in the old timers bout, draw my azzzz!!!! Ray
        Last edited by Ray Corso; 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM.

Comment

9-3 Hearns - he was well ahead on my card and putting on a boxing clinic

Comment

116-112 Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              In their first fight Tommy was slowly fading abit but was in control of the scoring! You always grew concerned with Tommys stamina and if his skinny legs were going to hold him up if fatique and strong punches started raining!
              Well to Leonards credit and Dundee's ability to get Leonard driving harder Tommy got caught by a hard fighting Leonard and was stopped in a very competitive and fan friendly bout!!!
              Tommy got screwed in the old timers bout, draw my azzzz!!!! Ray
              Agreed. Also Tommy's inability to take bodyshots a factor too. Hearns switched to the stick-and-move strategy after taking a big shot to the ribs and it looked to my like it was another bodyshot that started the final sequence where he was stopped. Great fight.

Second fight was sloppy but I thought Hearns edged it.

Poet

Comment

Hearns

Hearns 8-4

He won at least the 1st 6 or 7, I can't remember the exact round where Leonard hit him and hurt him, but from old memory as I havent watched it in a long time, it seems like I had hearns winning every round up to the 1st one where he got hurt, then I gave the next one to Leonard, then Hearns began dancing like Ali and won more then Leonard the last 2, so I gave him 4.

I think Hearns started out dominating him so much early, he got over confident and ****y and could not see Leonard coming back to beat him, and Leonard Proved he has decent Power and that Tommy has a thin Chin!

I still think the Ref should have let it go a bit longer, this was a title fight and 2 of the best in all of boxing, let someone get put down, don't jump in and stop the fight especially with him way ahead on the cards at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rspen46 View Post

I still think the Ref should have let it go a bit longer, this was a title fight and 2 of the best in all of boxing, let someone get put down, don't jump in and stop the fight especially with him way ahead on the cards at the time.
                  In general theory I feel this is perfectly correct. But in the specific case, Tommy was not the recovering kind. He had stork legs, a club fighter's chin and nowhere to go. Leonard was one of the most deadly finishers ever. Tommy was not going anywhere but the hospital if they let that fight go on. That is what I know from experience watching Hearns. At the time I was peeved, as well. Referees in general are too quick to stop fights. Then a sleepy ref lets one go too long and a fighter is killed. All the refs then overreact for a few years. Accidentally, that particular fight was actually over when the ref stopped it. I did not know that at the time, but I do now.

Comment

Hearns was easily up 9 rounds to 4 when they entered the 14th, I think the Ref should have let it go, you had 2 of the top Pound for Pound guys and 2 of the most popular in Boxing at the time, this one deserved to be decided by the fighters, let Hearns hit the floor then decide if it gets stopped, don't jump in an say it's over when the guy is way ahead, if he had managed to survive that round, all he had to do was stick and move and run in the 15th and he won easily, and their careers would have taken a much different path for Hearns, Leonard would have rebounded much better from a Loss here.

Comment

Working...
                    X