No announcement yet.

All about pre-fight staredowns, touch gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All about pre-fight staredowns, touch gloves

What are your favorites and you remember most.

The most popular is Antonio Tarver's "what are your excuses, Roy" in his 2-round kayo of Roy Jones in 2004.

Those I remember that were a bit funny

Ali rubbing Shavers' bald head
    Peter McNeeley's face as he look at Tyson.
    Javier Castillejo's sharp eye locked on Dela Hoya and Oscar turn away as if to say he's not gonna beat anyway.
    Julian Jackson smiled at Dennis Milton when the latter refused to touch gloves.
    Tito Trinidad always got himself into war even at the touching of gloves, from Vargas, Bernard Hopkins where referee Steve Smoger said "touch him bernard", and Ricardo Mayorga.

The classier ones with lots of respect:
    Holyfield and Alex Stewart in their rematch in 1993, both exchange touching of gloves.

The weirdest style: the late Vernon Forrest, he doesnt stand and look up straight to his opponent but was in a sideflip looking at the referee instead while the ref was holding the hands of both fighters in pre-fight instructions.
    Last edited by Emon723; 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM.

Tarver-Jones II would be first on my list. It's a classic.

Comment

The Tyson - McNeeley stare down is one that sticks out too me, Tyson's eyes following him going side to side as well.
      Last edited by NChristo; 05-20-2012, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        The Tyson - McNeeley stare down is one that sticks out too me, Tyson's eyes following him going side to side as well.
        Even more contrasted by the vacant, goofy, stupid look of McNeeley, ignorant of his impending doom.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          Even more contrasted by the vacant, goofy, stupid look of McNeeley, ignorant of his impending doom.
          I think I'll always remember that fight and the build up, specifically McNeeley saying he was going to wrap Tyson up in a ''cocoon of horror'', , still don't know what he ****ing meant.

This man is my hero.

Comment

Foreman-Frazier I
            Hagler-Hearns
            Leonard-Benitez

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
              Foreman-Frazier I
              Hagler-Hearns
              Leonard-Benitez
              love these three, hagler-hearns in particular. hearns always had great staredowns, his staredown with barkley was epic too. as was barkleys staredown with toney. benn-mclellan was intense.

Comment

Benn - McClellan.

Comment

It was said Sonny Liston won many a fight during the staredown.
                  Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comment

It was in 1995 too, check out McCall and Larry Holmes, the atomic bull was serious while 46-year old Larry seem to be saying something and making fun of McCall.

Comment

Working...
                    X