No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Golovkin/Ward, Race Debate, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Golovkin/Ward, Race Debate, More

The Daily Bread Mailbag returns with Stephen "Breadman" Edwards naming some of the fighters he would like to train, fighters who could beat Gennady Golovkin, worth of Ike Ibeabuchi, Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr., Golovkin vs, Andre Ward, the race debate and more.

[Click Here To Read More]

Great reading. The styles thing makes a lot of sense.

Comment

The race debate was pleasant reading. Off topic I personally don't trust anyone who aligns blindly with their race on everything just because they're part of that race. Think for yourself and stay true to yourself. Self.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
        The race debate was pleasant reading. Off topic I personally don't trust anyone who aligns blindly with their race on everything just because they're part of that race. Think for yourself and stay true to yourself. Self.
        A lot of people on here are guilty for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
          I don't see how siding with your race when it comes to a boxing match makes someone racist? Its no different than rooting for your country during the olympics.

I'm Puerto Rican and I root for the fighter of who's style I like more so than what his nationality is. I prefer seek and destroy or boxer puncher fighters. Guys who come in the ring with the intention to inflict damage and take their opponent out! Some fans are into the slick/defensive style and that's fine. The problems arise when those who aren't fans of the slick/defensive style that is usually adopted by black fighters and are labeled "racists" because they always root against that style.

I'm a fan of Terrance Crawford but not Floyd Mayweather. Am I a racist because I don't care for Floyd's fighting style? I'm a fan of GGG. Not because he's white but because he fights with bad intentions! Mike Tyson is one of my all time favorite fighters and the reason why I became a fan of the sport. Manny Pacquiao is also in my top 5 favorite fighters of all time list. I rooted for Zab in every one of his fights. I knew he had the skills and athleticism to win but he fell short mentally in all of his big fights. JMM, Barrera and Morales are also fighters who I am a big fan of!

Some people get too emotionally invested in boxing. I see it purely as entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
            I don't see how siding with your race when it comes to a boxing match makes someone racist? Its no different than rooting for your country during the olympics.

I'm Puerto Rican and I root for the fighter of who's style I like more so than what his nationality is. I prefer seek and destroy or boxer puncher fighters. Guys who come in the ring with the intention to inflict damage and take their opponent out! Some fans are into the slick/defensive style and that's fine. The problems arise when those who aren't fans of the slick/defensive style that is usually adopted by black fighters and are labeled "racists" because they always root against that style.

I'm a fan of Terrance Crawford but not Floyd Mayweather. Am I a racist because I don't care for Floyd's fighting style? I'm a fan of GGG. Not because he's white but because he fights with bad intentions! Mike Tyson is one of my all time favorite fighters and the reason why I became a fan of the sport. Manny Pacquiao is also in my top 5 favorite fighters of all time list. I rooted for Zab in every one of his fights. I knew he had the skills and athleticism to win but he fell short mentally in all of his big fights. JMM, Barrera and Morales are also fighters who I am a big fan of!

Some people get too emotionally invested in boxing. I see it purely as entertainment.
            So me saying I only want to see white fighters do well, I will never root for a black fighter and I will never support a black fighter in his attempt to reach a PPV superstar like Floyd no matter how good he is, no matter how entertaining he is, no matter how nice of a guy he really is...
            You've got no problem with that?
            Well I do, its bull and it works both ways maybe If you're just a casual fan here and there coming in only watching a few fights sure fine whatever but when you claim to be a big boxing fan and you can't get behind others because of race then I think you're pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
              So me saying I only want to see white fighters do well, I will never root for a black fighter and I will never support a black fighter in his attempt to reach a PPV superstar like Floyd no matter how good he is, no matter how entertaining he is, no matter how nice of a guy he really is...
              You've got no problem with that?

Well I do, its bull and it works both ways maybe If you're just a casual fan here and there coming in only watching a few fights sure fine whatever but when you claim to be a big boxing fan and you can't get behind others because of race then I think you're pathetic.

Rooting for a fighter from your country or nationality is MUCH different than what you just said though! Are the chinese racist because they root for their olympic athletes? Are the Russians, Americans, Australians, people of Botswana, etc racists because they root for their own during competition?

Look at Amir Khan. He's a Muslim Pakistani living in England yet his fellow countrymen support him when he fights. Manny Pacquiao is a Philipino who fought in the U.S with a huge American following. Etc..

Do we have racist fans? Of course just like in every sport. Rooting for a fellow countryman or fighter of the same nationality does not make someone racist though.
              Last edited by Deevel916; 11-27-2015, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Love this column. Brilliant stuff and great, detailed yet clearly explained technical information.
                Makes the site worth reading.

Comment

He could've used styles instead of race/nationality but their are certain styles that are followed by race/nationality. He's not wrong and he brought up some good examples. Styles makes fights. I also think fighting GGG at 160 instead of 155 will benefit Canelo. His stamina issues arise from cutting weight.

Comment

I'm glad he told it like it is when it comes to Golovkin and Ward. Bravo!

As far as the race/styles thing, I agree with him and have often pondered this myself. It does seem like Mexican fighters have all kinds of trouble against black fighters, while black fighters struggle against Eastern Euros, who seem to have a big weakness against Mexican-style infighting.

This doesn't happen 100% of the time of course but in general it is pretty accurate.

Why certain cultures are attracted to certain styles....and the strengths/weaknessess of those styles against each other...is a fascinating topic to research.

Comment

Working...
                    X