No announcement yet.

Robinson's Sparring Partners

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robinson's Sparring Partners

I am interested in the old time training regimens as opposed to today's, if anyone has such information.

Prime Robinson fought a lot more than today's fighters, so perhaps did not train as intensively for many fights. How did Robinson train in those years when he was averaging a fight every three or four weeks?

He must have trained more later when his fights were all big and farther apart in time. For instance, how much did he train and how did he train for the Turpin rematch, which was only two months removed from the first fight?

How did he train for Maxim? How did he train for his comebacks? Was there a lot of sparring involved? As much as today? Less?

Originally posted by joeandthebums
    Robinson worked five days out of seven, resting on Monday and Thursday.

"Jack Blackburn followed that program in conditioning Louis, I was only a kid when Blackburn conditioned me, and sometimes the day off was hard to take, but I believe it is one of the principal reasons I have been able to train and fight so long."

Robinson made those comments in 1957.
    I didn't know Robinson had worked with Blackburn when he was a youngster, but it makes sense.

Comment

Robinson reportedly was dropped by Cocoa Kid in soarring.

And was amongst the reasons why Robinson was reluctant to fight him.

Comment

They worked hard back then I don't know why people think newer athletes work harder, they certainly don't. Everyone who works in the trades knows the kids coming up are lazy as ****.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          They worked hard back then I don't know why people think newer athletes work harder, they certainly don't. Everyone who works in the trades knows the kids coming up are lazy as ****.

dude you have some complex against modern times..what you like a 90 year old stuck in a 25 year olds body..fcuk back off to 1933 if you want to, no one wants your whining radio-listening, vaudeville watching ass here.

Comment

I believe one of his main practice partner's was gene burton

Comment

Originally posted by GuessWhosBack View Post
              dude you have some complex against modern times..what you like a 90 year old stuck in a 25 year olds body..fcuk back off to 1933 if you want to, no one wants your whining radio-listening, vaudeville watching ass here.
              nah ive just watched a **** ton of boxing and realize its a joke. everyone at my gym is a ***** unless they are 3 weight classes above me.

Not only that but the politics are absurd now, even worse than before.

As for training, I realized it was a complete joke after doing all that modern conditioning for about 2 years out of highschool, picked up a job bricklaying and got a full dose of embarassment when you realize the **** doesn't work. 2 years of that and I came back twice as strong and the same weight.
              Last edited by them_apples; 05-25-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

nah ive just watched a **** ton of boxing and realize its a joke. everyone at my gym is a ***** unless they are 3 weight classes above me.

As for training, I realized it was a complete joke after doing all that modern conditioning for about 2 years out of highschool, picked up a job bricklaying and got a full dose of embarassment when you realize the **** doesn't work. 2 years of that and I came back twice as strong and the same weight.
                i think that the early eighties particularly was a black eye for conditioning as a science....Guys were walking around with humungus chests and pencil legs...And yeah when real work was to be performed it became obvious how silly it all was! i was a trainer back then and all the roid ragers were somethng else!

They have started to understand that the trunk area is what does work and people are back on track but fighters back in the day conditioned in a remarkably similar way. If you look at what they did it was really the same stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  I didn't know Robinson had worked with Blackburn when he was a youngster, but it makes sense.
                  You didn't know that?!

Comment

You're hitting all the right notes with that post son. Well done.
                    All this modern day, science infused bolloxs is just that, bolloxs!

Comment

Working...
                    X