Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing gives you so much confidence in a street fight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
    damn, ya'll went to the hospital for a cut eye?

how much does that cost in engerland? over here you gotta clean it up and slap a butterfly on there
    here we have the option to go to the hospital but for my eye would have to look like Vit Klit's eye before going to the hospital.

I wasn't looking and got hit dead on my eye brow ridge, split it wide open. Took ssome advil, bandaged my eye and went right back to third base.

Comment

Boxing gives you confidence to avoid a street fight.

You don't feel you have to prove yourself.

But in the case that if someone attacks you, you know how to keep enough distance so that they can't even attempt to hit you. If you feel you must, you can strike back.

Unless it is something serious, which I don't call a street fight, more like an attempted mugging.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
        Boxing may not give you a huge advantage over the average hard-nut on the street, but the confidence it gives you shouldn't be understated.

I started boxing in 2007 and have had quite a few amateur fights (mainly inter-gym fights) so I'm quite schooled in the basics despite not being able to commit more than a couple of hours a week to the sport.

Anyway, I'm not the type of guy to get involved in fights, especially not against local idiots who are just looking for a drunken scrap after a night out. However, me and my mate were walking to his flat after a fun friday night filled with heavy drinking, when three arseho*es decided they would harass us for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

One lad got up in my face and asked me where I came from, so I told him, and he said something along the lines of 'you need to get out of my area' in a gangster/chav tone of voice, which I found hilarious since we were in the middle of a small town centre in England.

I thought they were going to leave us alone and walk on when one of the lads dropped my mate and I thought here we go. Two of the lads then set up me, but I wasn't fazed at all. I remember being involved in fights when I was younger and I used to shake I was that nervous. Though I was surprisingly calm despite two big lads throwing hilariously mistimed punches in my general direction. I even began throwing a few jabs and feinting a bit as well. One of the guys then got a bit close and I got clipped around the eye, which is when I thought this is getting serious, and and decided to hit him with a right hook that landed square on his unprotected chin (drunken chavs always seem to fight with their hands at their sides haha) and he fell to the floor and started grunting like a pig unconscious. The other guys then backed off down a side alley.

I spent the rest of the night in a hospital waiting room where my friend received treatment for a badly cut eye. We're lucky that the boxing training I have received solved the situation before it was solved for us. Six years ago I might have ran off or fought stupid and got my head stamped in. Now I just kept calm and turned a bad situation into a better one. Confidence and keeping a level head being key.

Boxing rules >>>>>
        Just read the post in full. Sounds like some deal, at least as you described it.

In such a situation, the second things get dangerous, no hesitation. Fight or flight. If you will fight, go for the knockout punch without a second to even think about it. Prepare your mind if you must. If your friend has been dropped, this is the natural thing to do. You don't leave your friend. Unless they pull a knife or something, in which case I would run. Unless it is my brother or something, in which case you make distance and find an object, hold them off, and make a major commotion.

Comment

how much does that cost in engerland? over here you gotta clean it up and slap a butterfly on there
          I think it is free or very close to it.

We also have a form of socialized medicine in Japan. It's funny, things I would never imagine going to the doctor for in the good old USA, I can get medical treatment for here. Just, you know, cuts and very bad colds and what not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
            Just read the post in full. Sounds like some deal, at least as you described it.

In such a situation, the second things get dangerous, no hesitation. Fight or flight. If you will fight, go for the knockout punch without a second to even think about it. Prepare your mind if you must. If your friend has been dropped, this is the natural thing to do. You don't leave your friend. Unless they pull a knife or something, in which case I would run. Unless it is my brother or something, in which case you make distance and find an object, hold them off, and make a major commotion.
            Yeah, that sounds bad. But if a guy pulls a knife, they are threatening you specifically. It would take an absolute psycho to go on and slit your KO'd friend's throat once you have run away. In fact, if you have a chance and someone pulls a knife, getting the f u ck out, and getting on your cellphone to the cops at the absolute soonest possible second is probably the best option.

But if it is someone like your brother, or for that matter your girlfriend, or god forbid your wife, etc., you will do everything you can to fight.

Comment

It shouldn't. You should always be expecting anyone in the street or one of his boys to pull a weapon at any moment.

Comment

Healthcare is free in the UK.

Comment

It is free, which is great. However some services are slow. Anyway, the NHS, or National Health Service is the name. You may have seen NHS at the opening Olympic ceremony with the kids in the beds and the black monsters.

Comment

Big up to the national health service.

Comment

I can relate to this. I remember the High School days where if I got involved in an angry scuffles, I panic and just throw and kick and try to body slam the other guy, which usually just ends up being a 60 second smothering fest.

Now after a few years of boxing at home, then joining a gym and learning the basics, sparring - now having quit the Boxing gym but still shadow boxing at home for cardio - it makes you much calmer in a altercation. It's like you're automatically in your boxing stance when someone gets in your face or tries to attack you. You're no longer panicking or fighting all angry.

Comment

Working...
                      X