No announcement yet.

Catchweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catchweights

The accepted wisdom amongst actual boxing fans is that belts don't matter - they just want to see the best fights. So now that we, as fans, have taken belts out of the equation, what's wrong with trying to find a weight that levels the playing field? What makes 140 so much more legitimate than 141? 154 than 152? That the very same sanctioning bodies we have no respect for have determined arbitrary weight limits?

So, to come to my thoughts on Mayweather/Alvarez, and any other catchweight fight for that matter: So long as the catchweight is used to level the field and not give one fighter an advantage, it's a good thing. In the case of Mayweather/Canelo (and Pacquiao/Cotto before it), it's a decent compromise between a bigger guy and a smaller guy. It's fair and it gives boxing fans a strong fight which may not have been made otherwise. But belts shouldn't be on the line because belts are awarded in defined classes.

I agree what you said especially about the belts.

Nobody had a problem with catchweights. Nobody. The ones who blew catchweights up were the Flowmos to discredit Manny Pacquiao's dominant wins, especially the Cotto win. Nobody cared about Oscar forcing B hop to come down to 156 or 158 pounds, nobody cared.

I never cared, the reason this is such a big deal is because Flowmos would leave comments randomly on youtube, articles, message boards calling Pacquio Catchwegiht king, and Floyd and his minions would diss Pacman for fighting drained fighters just because of 2 pounds.

We all tried to break down that the cathcweight is for an even fight to make it a level field but they refused to give Pacman that credit for the wins, saying Cotto was undefeated, and saying Pacman is not a true champion he drained fighters.

Now that Floyd is fighting a catchweight they are now defending him saying its done to make it even, because Canelo is huge and comes in at 170, well how can that be even wouldn;'t that mean it would drain him and weaken him more?

So either they renege on their previous comments about Pacman and give him 100 percent credit for beating Cotto and Margarito or they continue to look like unfair, biased, illogical fan boys who are mainly race driven.

The hypocrisy is what people don't like, the Floyd fanatics are the worst fanbase known to man.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
      The ones who blew catchweights up were the Flowmos to discredit Manny Pacquiao's dominant wins,

Well, we'll get the same thing from Pacquiao fans now. It's extremely frustrating that people can't be fans of boxing before any individual.

Comment

It's just the fact that Mayweather is a 154 pound CHAMPION and that he's not fighting at the weight where he's rated at #1/2

Comment

Canelo is the first natural 154lber floyd will fight we'll see how good he does against a guy 20lb heavier

Comment

Very true. Armstrong and Lew Jenkins wanted to fight eachother badly so they did it at a catchweight, and agreed to have no belts on the line, and made the fight

That's how it should be done.

Comment

Belts are not the end all be all to me but they do matter to me. I agree that two fighters can hammer out a deal to fight at any weight they both agree on. I also agree that unless the fight is at the full weight for that weight class the title should not be on the line. I don't think Pacquiao should have been allowed to fight for Cotto's welterweight title unless Cotto was allowed to weigh the full 147 pounds that is standard for that weight class. Cotto should not have been able to defend his title against Margarito at a top weight of 153 instead of the standard 154. Pacquiao fighting Margarito for the vacant WBC 154 pound title with a weight limit of 150 was BS. If Mayweather and Canelo work out a deal to fight at 152 top weight that's great. I love that fight and I thought it would never happen. But no titles should be on the line unless both fighters are allowed to weigh in at the full 154 pounds that jr. middleweight has always been. Why? Let's say Floyd wins and wins all those 154 pound titles. In his next fight he decides to put his 154 pound titles on the line against Lara but Floyd makes the weight limit 152 again. So now you have one important fighter changing a traditional weight class limit to suit his needs.

Comment

Working...
              X