No announcement yet.

"Broner...Sky is Limit"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Broner...Sky is Limit"

(The following are Dan Rafael's remarks on the Broner-DeMarco fight, taken from ESPN.com.)

If you could buy stock in a fighter who might someday become a pay-per-view star, Broner's would have to be at the top of the list. He is as close to Floyd Mayweather Jr. as there is in terms of talent and charisma, and their fighting style and personas are scarily similar -- although Broner appears to be a better puncher. Broner potentially is on his way to that Mayweather level after this very big win, which netted the 23-year-old from Cincinnati a world title in his second weight class.

The path he's following also is similar to Mayweather's. Mayweather won his first title at 130 pounds and then moved up and won a 135-pound title against Jose Luis Castillo, who was considered the No. 1 fighter in the weight class at the time. In Broner's case, he won a junior lightweight title last November and made one defense before being stripped for failing to make weight for a defense against Vicente Escobedo in July. His campaign at 130 wasn't nearly as distinguished as that of Mayweather (who fought Genaro Hernandez, Angel Manfredy and Diego Corrales there), as Broner didn't face any top opponents. But in his first fight at 135, Broner won a title against DeMarco, the No. 1 fighter in the division, and he did it in overwhelmingly dominant fashion (whereas Mayweather had a huge struggle with Castillo in a fight that many thought he lost).

Broner put on an absolute clinic in Saturday's main event. He stood in the pocket and took it to DeMarco, 26, of Mexico, from the outset. DeMarco seemed to have no game plan whatsoever for how to deal with Broner's offense or defense. Instead of trying to move even a little bit, DeMarco, who was making his third title defense, stood right in front of Broner and even gave up his height advantage by ducking into him and opening himself up to abuse from Broner's right uppercut. DeMarco's only prayer was to catch Broner with something hard. But Broner's defense is tight, and although all three judges gave DeMarco the first round, he was never really in the fight.

Broner -- self-nicknamed "The Problem" -- had already marked up DeMarco's face in the first round and was hitting him with everything in the second. His dominance grew as the fight went on. The fifth round was a landslide that could have been scored 10-8 even though there was no knockdown. Broner battered DeMarco badly in that round. You could feel the end coming as he savaged DeMarco with clean shots. Finally, in the eighth round, DeMarco, as game as anyone, could take no more as Broner ripped him with an insanely fast six-punch combination -- right to the body, left to the chin, right to the body, left to the chin, right to the body and a finishing left uppercut that sent DeMarco staggering backward and down to a knee. His corner had seen enough and threw in the towel before referee Benjy Esteves bothered to finish the count, stopping the fight at 1 minute, 49 seconds.

Broner finished DeMarco in impressive fashion, landing 38 of 50 punches, according to CompuBox statistics, in the eighth round. Overall, Broner landed 241 of 451 punches (53 percent) while DeMarco landed just 93 of 351 blows (26 percent). Broner's potential is unlimited if he can stay focused and avoid letting the inevitable avalanche of money and hangers-on deter him. It's going to be a fun ride watching the heights Broner may someday reach.

The sky isn't the limit, plenty of people have been into space.....does Dan know what he is even talking about?

Comment

Broner has massive potential, but I said DeMarco was made for the guy to look good against. Wide shots and stands right in front of you. Broner teed off on him though and took chances. Threw good combos and adjusted his offense to what DeMarco was doing, i.e. more uppercuts followed by left hooks later when DeMarco began leaning over more. But if he goes to 140, he'll have fight on his hands with Lucas Matthysse.

Comment

This broner mass hysteria is getting completly out of hand

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          The sky isn't the limit, plenty of people have been into space.....does Dan know what he is even talking about?
          Math, you've been conspicuously dismissive of Broner. I'm not a fan of the kid's persona, either; but he's a pretty damn good fighter, IMO. If we were taking wagers on future superstars, Adrien seems like a good bet.

Comment

dan forget to mention his loss against ponce de leon.....

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
              Broner has massive potential, but I said DeMarco was made for the guy to look good against. Wide shots and stands right in front of you. Broner teed off on him though and took chances. Threw good combos and adjusted his offense to what DeMarco was doing, i.e. more uppercuts followed by left hooks later when DeMarco began leaning over more. But if he goes to 140, he'll have fight on his hands with Lucas Matthysse.
              You're right (and Rafael agrees), DeMarco fought the wrong fight and tried going toe-to-toe with Broner. But, as you state, what impressed me was the way Adrien handled it. He stood and fought, making Tony miss at close range and punishing him with fast, powerful combinations. We'll see what happens next, but Broner's utter demolition of DeMarco is tough to overstate. That fight could safely have been stopped after the fifth. You just knew that Tony was only going to get battered mercilessly until he crumpled in a bloody heap.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleto_Reyes View Post
                dan forget to mention his loss against ponce de leon.....
                That was a close fight that could've gone either way. I was critical of Broner for his performance and started to view him as a hype-job. I was wrong. If Adrien fought Ponce De Leon the way he fought DeMarco, there would've been no controversy. Danny would've been stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  You're right (and Rafael agrees), DeMarco fought the wrong fight and tried going toe-to-toe with Broner. But, as you state, what impressed me was the way Adrien handled it. He stood and fought, making Tony miss at close range and punishing him with fast, powerful combinations. We'll see what happens next, but Broner's utter demolition of DeMarco is tough to overstate. That fight could safely have been stopped after the fifth. You just knew that Tony was only going to get battered mercilessly until he crumpled in a bloody heap.
                  Did you only watch the last 10 sec of the DeMarco fight ?

I am not saying DeMarco dominated, but he landed plenty body shots and straights to make broner work for the victory.

broner is a very good prospect, but I see nothing in his fighting that would sugest that he is the second coming of floyd or roy jones.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    Math, you've been conspicuously dismissive of Broner. I'm not a fan of the kid's persona, either; but he's a pretty damn good fighter, IMO. If we were taking wagers on future superstars, Adrien seems like a good bet.
                    Don't get me wrong, I bet on him to beat DeMarco....I think he has skills but I always respond this way when a guy suddenly becomes the "greatest boxer in the world" because of a win over a game opponent. If the hype wasn't so great and he wasn't such a prick, I'd probably be a fan but he is kind of a punk and the hype that he is getting is just setting him up for failure.

These media moguls always do this to the guys they want to succeed and they make it seem as though these guys are untouchable - which is most certainly not the case.

DeMarco stood there doing nothing and eating potshots for about 3 rounds so I just can't say that Broner overcame a great obstacle on Saturday night. He looked good but I think more than a few posters will agree that DeMarco was chosen as an opponent to make Broner look good, which is what happened.

Maybe I'll try to subdue my transparent dislike for the guy for now until what my intuition tells me will happen actually happens. I saw times where Broner could have been exploited to a great degree had there been someone different in front of him but he fought and beat who he had in front of him and for that he deserves full credit.

Comment

Working...
                    X