Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any truth in the rumor Jerry Quarry beat George Foreman up in sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any truth in the rumor Jerry Quarry beat George Foreman up in sparring?

Is there any truth in the rumor Jerry Quarry beat George Foreman up in sparring?

no i have never came across that before, Foreman should have fought Quarry in early 74 when Quarry was his No1 contender after he beat Lyle & Shavers but Foreman wanted nothing to do with a smart counter-puncher like Quarry

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      no i have never came across that before, Foreman should have fought Quarry in early 74 when Quarry was his No1 contender after he beat Lyle & Shavers but Foreman wanted nothing to do with a smart counter-puncher like Quarry
      SSSHHHHHHH!!!!! Don't talk about things like this, it'll mess up every argument any ass clown wants to bring up about ANY fighter in hiostory not fighting another. It doesn't matter that you can do this with ALMOST ANY FIGHTER IN HISTORY! ssshhhhh!!!

Comment

Even if he did, it was before George's pro debut against a fairly green 20 year old George vs a prime Quarry with 37 pro fights (31-2-4) under his belt.

And for two, sparring is sparring. Hell the 17 year old Jose Benavidez Jr looked like he was getting the better of Pacquiao during sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
          Even if he did, it was before George's pro debut against a fairly green 20 year old George vs a prime Quarry with 37 pro fights (31-2-4) under his belt.

And for two, sparring is sparring. Hell the 17 year old Jose Benavidez Jr looked like he was getting the better of Pacquiao during sparring.
          Spadafora is said to have whupped Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Spadafora is said to have whupped Mayweather.
            Yeah isn't that why Floyd closes his sparring off to the public ever since?

I seriously don't think it means anything.

Reminds me though of seeing a sparring clip of Mosley and Chavez, which was kinda cool.

Comment

The Floyd - Spadafora session is on youtube. It was far from an ass whooping.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                SSSHHHHHHH!!!!! Don't talk about things like this, it'll mess up every argument any ass clown wants to bring up about ANY fighter in hiostory not fighting another. It doesn't matter that you can do this with ALMOST ANY FIGHTER IN HISTORY! ssshhhhh!!!
                yes thats true enough... IMO Quarry would have beaten Foreman back then, Quarry excelled against big powerful guys like Foreman they was always an easy fight for him he handed Ron Lyle, Mac Foster, Buster Mathis, Dave Centi, Tony Alongi, Stanford Harris & Larry Middleton the worst beating of their careers and they all matched up to Foreman in size with Lyle, Foster & Shavers having equal power to Foreman yet none could put a dent in the granite chin of Jerry Quarry, Middleton, Alongi, Mathis and Floyd Patterson was all vastly superior than Foreman with boxing skills yet all was soundly beaten by Quarry who was a great counter-puncher..
                George Foreman spoke volumes when he ranked Jerry on his Web site as the greatest fighter never to become champion. Big George said: "Had he punched with Ellis and boxed Frazier, he would have been champion. When I was heavyweight champion of the world, I purposely dodged him."

I think Jerry would have knocked him out!

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                  The Floyd - Spadafora session is on youtube. It was far from an ass whooping.
                  You are right. As usual the obsession with Floyd (and the lack of actual boxing knowledge on this forum) means that if you formed a mental impression of the spar based on the talk on NSB, it would look a lot like Hearns-Duran.

Floyd was clearly not in serious training, whereas Spadafora clearly was. Pretty much it.

Comment

Tony Tubbs handled Larry Holmes in sparring.

Comment

Working...
                    X