No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nonito Donaire's Will Catapults Him To Reclaim Gold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Nonito Donaire's Will Catapults Him To Reclaim Gold

By Jake Donovan - Nonito Donaire is once again in possession of a super bantamweight title, but had to work harder than ever before in a fight he declared a must-win scenario.

Win he did, as Donaire outlasted a relentless Cesar Juarez in their savage 12-round war Friday evening at Coliseo Roberto Clemente in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Scores were 116-110 (twice) and 117-109 in favor of Donaire, who is now a two-time super bantamweight champ. A pair of 4th round knockdowns paved the way for the win, but the 33-year old Fil-Am star had to overcome cuts, injuries and strong second half surge from Juarez to prevail.

The packed crowd of 8,133 was there largely to support local favorite Felix Verdejo, who fought – and won – in the main event, but it was the co-feature that boxing fans will remember at least through the end of the year when the best fights of 2015 are being discussed.

It didn’t start out that way, though. For five-plus rounds, Donaire did everything he expected to do in a bout he was heavily favored to win. Juarez looked every bit the massive underdog he was perceived to be, as he was beaten to the punch and taking punishment to the point where it seemed like a matter of time before the fight would be stopped. [Click Here To Read More]

Sure he won, but I would rather look like the loser of that fight. Face wise that is!!!!

Comment

Why were people booing at the end of the fight? That was such a great fight, I don't see how anybody have a problem with that.

Comment

Fight of the year candidate right there.

Comment

Flash looked bad. No way that fight should have went 12.

Comment

Both guys showed tremendous heart.

Comment

Nonito's flash has burned out. The dude has reached his peek skill wise and would be better off thinking about retirement. If he was fighting a guy with a tad more power and skills Nonito would've been KTFO.

Comment

At some points this fight was beginning to look like a poor man's Arguello-Pryor fight. I couldn't believe how bad Donaire's defense has become -- I get he was tired, but you can't stay on the ropes with an opponent who would not stop coming forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Punch-Out!! View Post
                  Why were people booing at the end of the fight? That was such a great fight, I don't see how anybody have a problem with that.
                  I think they were booing the wide score margins because they knew it meant Donaire had won. Juarez was fighting at home, it's worth pointing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                    Sure he won, but I would rather look like the loser of that fight. Face wise that is!!!!
                    Donaires skin marks up crazy easily. Just look at the punches that he landed in Juarez, and barely a mark or swelling on him.

Comment

Working...
                    X