Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good police work or racial profiling? [Video]

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The vast majority of random searches and stops, don't yield anything. I have seen the stats as high as 90%.

This is a classic example of the cops thinking they are judge and jury. Most cops I have run into have a serious power trip going on.

Our civil rights are being destroyed and people can't walk the streets anymore without some pig thinking he can harass someone.

The other negative of this is, it destroys the relationship between the police and the community they are trying to protect. Then they wonder why black and brown kids are scared of them, and don't trust them.

You guys wanted a police state, well this is where it's coming to.

Comment

I wonder, do cops get rewards if they reach a certain number of stop & searches? The more they stop & search, the better they're doing their job?

Comment

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
        I wonder, do cops get rewards if they reach a certain number of stop & searches? The more they stop & search, the better they're doing their job?
        No, but they do have a quota for arrest and tickets in the U.S. That's why at the end of each month, cops are on the prowl and even set up speeding traps to get you, literally hiding in the bushes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          The other negative of this is, it destroys the relationship between the police and the community they are trying to protect. Then they wonder why black and brown kids are scared of them, and don't trust them.
          I agree with most of what you said, but I can turn this around (in the quote) and say that young black men do commit a disproportionate amount of street crime, then they wonder why some non-black people are wary and even scared of them when they're walking down the street. Not all cops are bad, and not all young black men are criminals... most are not, and I think most cops are good too. But the negative stereotypes tend to be what a lot of people remember the most.

I'm not trying to justify what went on in that video. Clearly they did nothing wrong.

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          You guys wanted a police state, well this is where it's coming to.
          Who wanted a police state?

Comment

99% of the time the police penalize someone, they probably didn't deserve it, and the fines are costly. Growing up in America, you have to keep an eye out on both sides. Because the "law" is as out to get you as everyone else.

The Police are just as bad as criminals. They're basically professional legal extortionists. At least where I live.. they're cracking down over here. They got cameras on the streets now. You can't do anything wrong and you can't look out of place because it will cost you.

I want to govern myself, I don't want to be governed by others. What happened to democracy? When did the Police become more powerful than the ideals that we all pledged to to be in this country?
            Last edited by DARKSEID; 07-09-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

From what can be seen in the video, that looks like straight up bullshit.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                Originally posted by takingaim View Post
                I agree with most of what you said, but I can turn this around (in the quote) and say that young black men do commit a disproportionate amount of street crime, then they wonder why some non-black people are wary and even scared of them when they're walking down the street. Not all cops are bad, and not all young black men are criminals... most are not, and I think most cops are good too. But the negative stereotypes tend to be what a lot of people remember the most.

I'm not trying to justify what went on in that video. Clearly they did nothing wrong.
                Actually, stats show that whites and blacks commit crimes about the same ratio, it has much more to do with economics. The lower on the poverty scale, the more crime, lack of education, teen pregnancy, drug and alcohol use etc.

Yet there are a disproportionate amount of blacks in prison...Hmmmm I wonder why?

Who wanted a police state?
                People who defend this type of action and support a violation of our civil rights.

Comment

Disgusting. I hope that first cop dies a slow and painful death.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
                    Disgusting. I hope that first cop dies a slow and painful death.

Comment

It was a Terry Stop. The officer needs reasonable suspicion to believe they committed a crime to make a Terry Stop. The purpose is to briefly detain a person to ask them questions or investigate. It is not an arrest, an arrest requires probable cause. Probable cause can arise from Terry Stop questioning. An officer is allowed to pat the outside of a detained persons clothes to check for weapons. If they can identify the contents of the detainees pockets as something illegal they can go inside the pockets and take it out. The purpose of this is to protect the officers safety.

What we don't know is whether there was reasonable suspicion to make a Terry Stop. There is something called a BOLO (be on the lookout) which is grounds for a Terry Stop. If there was a dispatch notice that described the detainee's the officer has full legal authority to make a Terry Stop. However, a notice that says black male would not be sufficient. If it said black male, slim build, white shirt, camo pants then it would be sufficient.

Officer did not have to read rights to suspect until they have probable cause to believe a crime was committed and they ask questions of that crime AFTER PC existed. They don't have to read rights during a Terry Stop. Besides, they dont actually have to read rights, but if they don't and the suspect was in custody then any statements would not be admissible against them in court.

----

The question is was there reasonable suspicion to make the stop. It is impossible to know from the video and everyone who says so one way or the other is an idiot. However, in my opinion, it seems like the cop took the suspect into custody very fast and unless there was something that we don't know that gave him probable cause (which is very possible) then the arrest was unlawful. Noone knows yet and to pass judgement one way or the other is just ignorant.
                      Last edited by Hous; 07-09-2014, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X