No announcement yet.

Did Groves suffer the Spinks Jinx?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Groves suffer the Spinks Jinx?

I didn't see the fight live, but it felt like Groves was so confident and really playing up his :15 in the spotlight with the entrance and the way he spoke to Froch.

It reminded me of Spinks vs Judah. Spinks came into the rematch at home seemingly feeling invincible.

Now it's very possible that this could simply be a thing where he was excited and doing his job. I think he has a bright future, but Froch has always shown that it isn't his coordination or the way he throws punches that gives him success. It's that he doesn't care about how he looks in the ring, just in his will to win however he can.

Do you think Groves really felt he was too much for Froch? Or he was simply doing his job and trying to make a name for himself?

I think Groves followed the advise of his corner and fought to the best of his ability and just got KOed by a guy that always finishes strong and punches hard with good accuracy. I don't think Groves underestimated Froch or was over confident. The best man won just as I think he would have scored a clear KO in their first fight if the ref had not stopped the fight early. If they fought again I think Froch would score another late round KO.

Comment

Both guys fought a little cautiously, which gave Froch the edge. Carl gained in confidence with every round and eventually went for the kill.

In their first fight, Groves took Carl's heart in the first round, and Froch spent the whole fight playing catch up. Groves should have stormed out and gone for the kill again, in my opinion.

Comment

he suffered the spinks jinx in the sense that he took a monster right hand.

Comment

Eubank sr. Hit the nail on the head with regards to his confidence- he was either bluffing or overlooking something. To be that confident in your ability suggests complacency.

Comment

Working...
          X