No announcement yet.

Fulgencio Zuniga way overrated as a journeyman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulgencio Zuniga way overrated as a journeyman

I know it's a somewhat laughable title cause journeymen aren't held in high regard anyway, but if there's such a thing as being overrated as a mediocre fighter, Zuniga is just that. This fight does absolutely nothing to advance James DeGale's career. I'm not sure if anyone's ever bothered to look at his boxrec resume, but his career record against opponents with winning records is 11-6-1. That should tell you all you need to know right there. But what's more, apart from beating two other very mediocre fighters in Alejandro Berrio who hadn't had a significant win in half a decade, and Antwun Echols who's also pretty bad, there's not a W against a recognizable name on his resume.
    Yet, amazingly, this guy keeps getting shot after shot against Kelly Pavlik, Dennis Inkin, Lucian Bute, Tavoris Cloud, and most recently Thomas Oosthuizen and winds up getting his ass kicked each time. And the fans are expected to think it means something when a fighter beats this guy just by virtue of the fact he's been in fights with these guys.
    If there are two things you can say in his favor, it's that he's durable-only been KO'd twice, so he's guaranteed to give DeGale a couple rounds, and his KO ratio is pretty good, although as I hinted at before, almost all his wins came against fighters with losing records.

I think DeGale is pretty overrated too...

Comment

This fight is just a good win on paper for DeGale like you say, Zuniga has a lot of K.Os and has been in with world class fighters.
      He is no threat, he doesn't hit anywhere near what his record may suggest.

He is just good keeping DeGale active, he should last the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by teddycanyon View Post
        I know it's a somewhat laughable title cause journeymen aren't held in high regard anyway, but if there's such a thing as being overrated as a mediocre fighter, Zuniga is just that. This fight does absolutely nothing to advance James DeGale's career. I'm not sure if anyone's ever bothered to look at his boxrec resume, but his career record against opponents with winning records is 11-6-1. That should tell you all you need to know right there. But what's more, apart from beating two other very mediocre fighters in Alejandro Berrio who hadn't had a significant win in half a decade, and Antwun Echols who's also pretty bad, there's not a W against a recognizable name on his resume.
        Yet, amazingly, this guy keeps getting shot after shot against Kelly Pavlik, Dennis Inkin, Lucian Bute, Tavoris Cloud, and most recently Thomas Oosthuizen and winds up getting his ass kicked each time. And the fans are expected to think it means something when a fighter beats this guy just by virtue of the fact he's been in fights with these guys.
        If there are two things you can say in his favor, it's that he's durable-only been KO'd twice, so he's guaranteed to give DeGale a couple rounds, and his KO ratio is pretty good, although as I hinted at before, almost all his wins came against fighters with losing records.
        a journeyman is supposed to lose everytime he steps up. hes not supposed to be a threat, just provide rounds and he does just that. you say theres only two things in his favor, one being that hes durable. well, thats all a journeyman is supposed to be.

he isnt supposed to advance degales career either, its a stay busy fight. a chance to apply things hes been working on in the gym and look good doing it against a guy who wont fall over as soon as he gets touched. like already mentioned give him some rounds.

that he has power too on top of that makes him better and more dangerous that most journeymen. his wins over echols and berrio are better wins than the vast majority of journeymen have and yes the mere fact that hes been in the ring with so many champions is impressive for a journeyman. im not sure you know what a journeyman is supposed to be like, zuniga is a good one.

Comment

Working...
        X