Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harold Johnson at Top 100 ATG. Agree or Disagree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harold Johnson at Top 100 ATG. Agree or Disagree?

I am inclined to think so and I don't see why not.

I have read plenty of Top 100 ATG lists, varying from Historians I see as legit, to the likes of Bert Sugar and even simply posters on forums.

The Ring Magazine had him at #80 out of the best 80 fighters from 1920-2000 but I can't recall ever seeing Harold Johnson amongst their Top 100.

Johnson is a HOF'er and the Lightweight Champion of the world albeit he won it as a vacant title, and in my opinion a Top 10 Light Heavyweight. Plenty have disagreed with me on that but I certainly believe he is.

He beat;

Henry Hall
    Bert Lytell
    Archie Moore
    Bob Satterfield x2
    Paul Andrews x2
    Marty Mashall
    Sonny Ray
    Doug Jones
    Gustav Scholz
    Willie Pastrano
    Henry Hank
    Eddie Jones
    Jimmy Bivins
    Nino Valdes
    Jimmy Slade x2
    Ezzard Charles
    Eddie Machen

All of which were Top 10, a handful Top 5. And a handful also went on to be ranked from Top 5 to #1 in their division after the bouts with Johnson. Which is a pretty solid resume If I ever saw one.

The obvious names that stand out on his resume are HOF'ers; Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, Jimmy Bivins and Willie Pastrano. (I count Pastrano because Johnson won the fight regarldess to the fact they gave Pastrano the descion).Which are very impressive wins

Archie Moore had his number and that downplays his career a little having those 3 losses to him but this is Archie Moore we are talking about; A top 20 ATG and to some peoples standards a Top 10 ATG. Also, in one of their encounters I can't recall which one, Johnson was leading comfortabely in the fight going into the 14th but was stopped in the 14th.

Along with those names he has veyr solid wins such as; Satterfield, Valdez, Machen, Jones, amongst others.

To me, that is a Top 100 ATG level fighter, atleast.

What do you guys think?

I dont even attempt to make a top 100 list, there are just too many fighters and too much criteria.

but anyone who could beat Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore and Jimmy Bivins among others sure as hell seems to me to be top 100 worthy.

Comment

Definately an all-time great.

Comment

I also am going to say that I don't have a top 100. I just don't know enough about every boxer to think I can make one worth anything. But he was no doubt in my mind an all-time great. Talk about a guy who fought everyone and had a ton of skill. He was a fighter who defined his era. Also I love the the way he setup his shots, stands out every time I see him fight.

Good highlight video that was on here a wile back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8xqtIkXsk

Comment

He's first class and there's definately a case for him being top 100 when u look at that resume.

Still i wouldnt know where the hell to begin doing a top 100 so i'll reframe from making the call but like i said the guys First class

Comment

Originally posted by cja07007 View Post
            I also am going to say that I don't have a top 100. I just don't know enough about every boxer to think I can make one worth anything. But he was no doubt in my mind an all-time great. Talk about a guy who fought everyone and had a ton of skill. He was a fighter who defined his era. Also I love the the way he setup his shots, stands out every time I see him fight.

Good highlight video that was on here a wile back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8xqtIkXsk
            Harold is one of my favourite fighters and one of the best textbook fighters I have ever seen. He's just amazing to watch. Even fights were he was past prime like Pastrano where he took him to school.

Very skilled, very talented, very gifted, can fight you going back and can fight you going forward, can beat you up on the inside and completely outclass you from the outside.

A great fighter.

Comment

The consesus seems to be that he is a Top 100 ATG.

Seems strange that he is so rarely included on them in the lists I have seen.

Comment

Another fun fact for you guys;

Harold Johnson was set to fight Sonny Liston in 1955 but was replaced by Marty Marhsall (The first man to beat Sonny Liston a few years prior) last minute due to an injury suffered in training by Johnson.

I would have to say that Johnson is lucky he got injured because Liston would have eaten him alive

Comment

I think he definitely should be competing for a decent spot because he already definitely should get in. He beat Charles before Rocky got to him so that's a pretty decent win and beat Archie waaaaaay before Ali fought him so it's not like those 2 ATG's were majorly past their prime even if they were past it.

I don't think their like Calzaghe's win over Roy Jones, but more on the lines of Joe's win over Hopkins which I think is an A- win, then he has wins over some decent world champs so yeah it's a no brainier. Actually pretty ****in crazy he's forgotten like this.

Comment

if every fighter who was to ever be called an all-time great had to produce a resume like that we wouldn't have many all-time greats.

Bill Miller praised him highly..................Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X