Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feature story about me writing for the Daily News!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature story about me writing for the Daily News!

http://www.filipinoreporter.us/sport...-the-news.html
    By L.P. PELAYO
    Sports editor

Filipino Reporter sports correspondent Ryan ******** is currently covering the 84th annual Daily News Golden Gloves amateur boxing tournament for the New York Daily News, which kicked off on Jan. 20.

The finals will take place on April 7-8 at the Theater at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan.

A member of the Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA), the 23-year-old Hoboken, N.J.-born and Jersey City, N.J.-raised Fil-Am has been writing for various publications.

Aside from the Filipino Reporter and Daily News, he has been published in Rogue, The Jersey Journal, FoxSports.com, Boxing Digest, BoxingScene.com and GMA-7.

“My dream is to help spread the Filipino interest in boxing beyond Manny Pacquiao,” said ********, whose family comes from Tanauan, Leyte, Philippines.

“The Philippines has a rich history of boxing and I’d like for the progress made by Pacquiao continue with other great rising talent like Nonito Donaire Jr.,” he said.

“That’s why I put so much into my work here at the Filipino Reporter and elsewhere. As Filipino-Americans we need to support what other Filipinos are doing back home.”

********, who is a Straight A student at Bergen Community College, recently visited the Philippines for the very first time and celebrated the holidays with relatives.

“I spent three weeks exploring the Philippines, and visiting boxing gyms where I met up and coming boxing stars,” he shared.

“I’m still learning Tagalog but I have come a long way already.”

******** said writing is his passion and he knows it will be a lifelong career for him.

“My cousin used to always tell me that if you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life,” he recalled.

“I love writing, and it doesn’t feel like work at all.”
Working...
X