Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does boxing confine itself to arenas even when it doesn't have to?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does boxing confine itself to arenas even when it doesn't have to?

It seems like boxing promoters just prefer arenas even when they can potentially sell out stadiums. They were happy to put Chisora vs Haye in a stadium, yet the much bigger fight Froch vs Kessler 2 will be in the o2 arena. Hatton could have had a stadium comeback at the rate his tickets sold out even before announcing an opponent, yet again he chose an arena. Wlad and Vitali consistently sell out stadiums yet for some reason every now and again they go back to arenas. Katie Taylor has Ireland dangling on a string, yet even with talk of her being able to sell out Croke Park she instead chooses to fight in a number of 3000 capacity venues, all of which sold out almost instantly. Why the hell didn't she just pick a stadium venue? Why is Katie Taylor fighting in the same venues Willie Casey has been selling out?

Not all places allow gambling. A lot of prize fight are made around big betters. Big tourist attracting places have many people in them daily...nightly!

Comment

Bigger stadium, cheaper tickets=less money for promoters pockets

Exclusivity
      Last edited by Russian Crushin; 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Because they can milk vegas goers who are willing to drop cash on a vegas weekend. That and there usually isnt enough buzz with fighters to even sell out smaller arenas. I went to thehome depot in carson for pwill cintron and the attendance was garbage. I literally lol'd.

Comment

Froch v Kessler 2 has nowhere near the public interest Haye v Chisora had. Hatton didn't know who he was fighting and the level of interest that the fans would show, MEN arena is basically his home venue anyway. Klitschko's choose arenas for fights they don't think will sell as much. You also have to take into account the time of the year, they can't have a fight on a Saturday if there's a football match on the same day and the teams won't want the pitch ruined either.

Comment

I do agree to an extent, but in stadiums a lot of the seats are pretty poor. I went to Chisora Haye in the cheap seats and watched most of the fight on the big screen. In arenas at least the majority of fans get a good view of the action

Comment

There's a weather issue if you didn't notice.

Haye-Klitschko was a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopymiller View Post
                There's a weather issue if you didn't notice.

Haye-Klitschko was a mess.
                That one time

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  Bigger stadium, cheaper tickets=less money for promoters pockets

Exclusivity
                  I think so... I mean hell, the cheapest tickets for a Pac/Floyd fight is like 250+
                  That's ringside for some fights.
                  That's nosebleed seats for Floyd/Pac fights

Comment

Insurance, security, fire, accomidations, consessions are easier to control and apply in an arena setting! If you look into an insurance rider for 3,000 campared to 30,000 theres abit of difference there! Then theres the pay offs and who you know to pull off a Stadium Show! Its alot more work for not much more profit and you have way less control of the envirerment! If theres a circuit deal involved thats the majority of the profits anyway!
                    The old Madison Square Garden out door facility used to sit 20,000 (I think) and ran boxing shows there all the time the gate was everything back in those days (no tv). Today its different!!! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X