Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Peterson: Black Fighters Get Little Support From Black Fans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Peterson: Black Fighters Get Little Support From Black Fans

Junior welterweight contender Lamont Peterson said that African Americans need to support their fighters more, this, during a Monday training session at the Head Banger's Gym in Southeast in his native Washington, D.C.

[Click Here To Read More]

because black isn't a nationality.

It's your own fault really.

Black people should've listened to Malcolm X and not MLK. You know how you're feeling gutted for not taking that career high pay day for fighting Amir. That's how old black people feel for not siding with Malcolm X.

Comment

Ive noticed this, too. Black Floyd fans (or at least those claiming to be black) don't support anyone other than Floyd. Hopkins, Dawson, Ward, Dirrell, Berto, Bradley, Alexander, all don't have real support on a national level from the African American community.

But you can take a Mexican American or Mexican fighter, a Polish/Polish American fighter, or Puerto Rican fighter with a decent name put them in any city with a relative minority presence and they'll come out to support.

I can't really think of a reason other than African Americans just don't follow boxing as much.

Comment

race is stupid. were all just individuals.

Comment

The blacks don't give a sh^t about boxing anymore.And even the one that do - can you blame them for not supporting a brotha? Besides a genuine class act like Hopkins,where are these great African American fighters? Nobody wants to support glass jawed,cherry picking jokers like Andre Berto.

Gotta step ya game up,black America.

Comment

The 'urban' demo just isn't as interested in boxing anymore. I've heard hbo has been making a concerted effort to build it up again. But it don't seem like its going all that well so far.

Comment

And the average Filipino doesn't support Donaire because why? He isn't as well known as Manny.

Average black guy: Who the hell is Lamont Peterson?

Comment

peterson is too meek for a black fighter for black fans to support. he should put some real swagger, villainous style and gangsta attitude...and of course he should win some big fights. but even if he starts winning big fights and envigorate his career he will never be revered like floyd...41-0 baby, can't get any better than that. plus if you don't appreciate floyd, you don't know **** about boxing

Comment

There is a difference between nationality and race of course. What black fighters need to realize is that people no matter the nationality or race need a reason to support you. Peterson is from D.C. a city that I was born in and still live in that is dying for a someone even close to Ray Leonard to support. Guess how many out Peterson's 30 fights have even been in the D.C. area? 2 fights. People not gonna travel around the country for a product they don't know. B-Hop gets support not as much as he should but people travel to see B-Hop. I went to the B-Hop vs. Tarver fight in Atlantic City. Also a lot what is going is the promotors fault. I mean back in the day fights where held any and everywhere. Now all big fights is in Vegas. Most people can't travel to Vegas 2-3 times a year. True statement was "If you build it they will come". Build you a great fan base at home and those people will travel to see you. Makes no sense that out of 30 fights Peterson has fought only 2 fights in DC. But expects people to just see him cause he is black. Why in the **** would I pay to go see Broner fight? That dude made a fool of himself and thought he was styling and looking good. I wouldn't pay to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Seleção No. 13 View Post
                    And the average Filipino doesn't support Donaire because why? He isn't as well known as Manny.

Average black guy: Who the hell is Lamont Peterson?
                    average black guy: who the hell is any black fighter not named floyd mayweather.

Comment

Working...
                    X