No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs Mike Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Liston vs Mike Tyson

I'm talking about prime vs prime.Liston was past his prime against Ali,and Tyson was past his prime against Buster Douglas.

Both fighters were menacing and put fear into there opposnents hearts.

Who do you pick and why?

If Mike doesn't **** his pants at the staredown, I think he can do it. But I think that Sonny would scare Mike into submission. He wouldn't fall for the craziness and that was a menacing dude.

Comment

liston could win a decision he has a superior reach and jab....i could also see tyson outworking him but i would have to pick liston...

Comment

Tyson by KO.

Liston's reach is his only advantage and once Tyson got inside (and he would get inside), Liston wouldn't have the speed or defense to prevent himself from being knocked out.

Prime Tyson was just a wrecking machine. It would take a very skilled fighter to beat him when he's at his absolute best.
        moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
          Tyson by KO.

Liston's reach is his only advantage and once Tyson got inside (and he would get inside), Liston wouldn't have the speed or defense to prevent himself from being knocked out.

Prime Tyson was just a wrecking machine. It would take a very skilled fighter to beat him when he's at his absolute best.
          Maybe,maybe not.

You failed to take into account that Liston had one of the best chins in heavyweight history.

You do know that the 2nd fight with Muhammad Ali was fixed?

In the 1st fight Liston was never hurt.He was past his prime,and had not fought over 2 rounds in many years.That is why he was tired after 6 rounds.Liston did not quit because he was hurt,it was because he didn't want to be mocked and embarrased like Roberto Duran was by SRL.In fact,he quit for the same reason that Duran did.But neither of them was hurt.Liston had one of the best chins in heavyweight history,and would be very very hard to KO.

Early in Liston's carreer(Around his 8th pro fight) he suffered a broken jaw early in a fight against a veteran fighter.He continued to fight with a broken jaw and came on strong at the end! Liston was hitting him so hard that he stepped out of the ring!! That shows alot about Liston's courage and heart,let alone his great chin! Liston beat him twice in rematches,and KO'd him in the 3rd fight!!

Furthermore,Liston had alot more than just his reach and his powerfull jab.He had awesome power in both hands.A fighter with Tyson's style would be perfect for Sonny Liston.It could easily resemble George Foreman's fight with Joe Frazier.I'm telling you,Liston could punch just about as hard as George Forman! But was better than George in just about every other catagory,and had a better chin.

Tyson would have his hands full,and someone would get KO'd early.I think Tyson's style is made for Sonny Liston.Liston by early round KO!

Comment

I've always thought primes Liston and Foreman were just bad match ups for Tyson and so did Cus. Which is probably one reason Mike avoided even the old fat version of George.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing boy View Post
              Maybe,maybe not.

You failed to take into account that Liston had one of the best chins in heavyweight history.

You do know that the 2nd fight with Muhammad Ali was fixed?

In the 1st fight Liston was never hurt.He was past his prime,and had not fought over 2 rounds in many years.That is why he was tired after 6 rounds.Liston did not quit because he was hurt,it was because he didn't want to be mocked and embarrased like Roberto Duran was by SRL.In fact,he quit for the same reason that Duran did.But neither of them was hurt.Liston had one of the best chins in heavyweight history,and would be very very hard to KO.

Early in Liston's carreer(Around his 8th pro fight) he suffered a broken jaw early in a fight against a veteran fighter.He continued to fight with a broken jaw and came on strong at the end! Liston was hitting him so hard that he stepped out of the ring!! That shows alot about Liston's courage and heart,let alone his great chin! Liston beat him twice in rematches,and KO'd him in the 3rd fight!!

Furthermore,Liston had alot more than just his reach and his powerfull jab.He had awesome power in both hands.A fighter with Tyson's style would be perfect for Sonny Liston.It could easily resemble George Foreman's fight with Joe Frazier.I'm telling you,Liston could punch just about as hard as George Forman! But was better than George in just about every other catagory,and had a better chin.

Tyson would have his hands full,and someone would get KO'd early.I think Tyson's style is made for Sonny Liston.Liston by early round KO!
              I have watched many Sonny Liston fights and he never struck me as a guy with great technical skills or very much speed.

Tyson had all the necessary abilities to be a great fighter. You can be great with having just a few, as Liston was, but Tyson had everything, outside of a height and reach advantage over most heavies.

Liston was great, but IMO Tyson was greater.

Comment

Liston is so over-rated it isn't even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                  I have watched many Sonny Liston fights and he never struck me as a guy with great technical skills or very much speed.

Tyson had all the necessary abilities to be a great fighter. You can be great with having just a few, as Liston was, but Tyson had everything, outside of a height and reach advantage over most heavies.

Liston was great, but IMO Tyson was greater.
                  What fights of Sonny Liston did you watch?

And were they Prime Sonny Liston fights?

Like George Forman,you don't need great speed to beat and KO great fighters.

Styles make fights! And Tyson's style is made for Sonny Liston or George Forman.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiirdo View Post
                    Liston is so over-rated it isn't even funny.
                    Over-rated?! He's one of the most over-looked champions of all time.

Comment

Working...
                    X