No announcement yet.

boxers you used to hate ? but now admire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boxers you used to hate ? but now admire

any boxers you used to really dislike but after they retired came to admire ? i used to hate pernell whitaker i thought he was a good fighter but he was a boring and dirty fighter and a jerk , but hell ive came to admire him now he was a hell of a fighter and very close if not better i think than floyd mayweather denfense wise , and could be very good offensively and had one hell of a jab.

I don't think I ever hated a fighter but there were some that I disliked who I learnt to appreciate in later life. For example Joe Calzaghe, I was a huge fan till he fought Hopkins and fought the fight was horrible and Hopkins at 40 odd was not a good enough opponent. Then Hopkins went on to dismantle Pavlik and beat Pascal....that win on resume will look huge in the future and I rate Hopkins for taking the fight in the US.

I never really liked Lewis and always disliked his wanabe attitude, still do, but as a heavyweight he was the best since Ali and Holmes.

Comment

Not that I was alive to see him fight but when I decided Hagler was my favourite fighter I decided Leonard was my least favourite. However after watching Leonard fights I loved his style and he just grew on me as a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Not that I was alive to see him fight but when I decided Hagler was my favourite fighter I decided Leonard was my least favourite. However after watching Leonard fights I loved his style and he just grew on me as a fighter.

I was just the opposite. Leonard was my favourite fighter as a kid and when I saw the Duran and Hagler fights, I disliked them. Thought Hagler was a vicious brute and I thought Duran was clearly psychotic and needed to be put away. I came to appreciate both greatly however over the following years.

Quite a few others though. Never really hated any fighter. I've grown to have some vague dislikes (such as the aforementioned) but that was either when I was a young kid or, if now, due to the rabid fans of one particular fighter being so obnoxious and ignorant that I end up with feelings of dislike through association.

Despite liking and admiring both greatly, I also have weird dislikes for Pac and Mayweather just because of their fans (though Mayweather not so much lately because it just seems like everyone hates him, so that negates it a little.... and I really like watching him fight).
        Last edited by BennyST; 09-22-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Hate is not a word that can be associated with boxers! Its a brutal sport on one hand and a sport that demands extreme dedictation. Once you learn methods and techniques you can tell who has the most talents and who is giving everything they have to win. I can't hate a man for not going ALL OUT! But I can be disappionted in their efforts! To many variables!!! Ray.

Comment

Did not like lennox when he was active. Have the utmost respect for the man now.

Comment

Originally posted by bender2000 View Post
              any boxers you used to really dislike but after they retired came to admire ? i used to hate Pernell Whitaker i thought he was a good fighter but he was a boring and dirty fighter and a jerk , but hell ive came to admire him now he was a hell of a fighter and very close if not better i think than floyd mayweather denfense wise , and could be very good offensively and had one hell of a jab.
              Unlike you, my opinion of the fighter whose name appears in bold text above hasn't changed, althought I have never hated anyone. That aside, the only other fighter I recall having little regard for despite his seeming invincibility was Mike Tyson. I was convinced that Michael Spinks would expose Tyson as Ali exposed Liston and Foreman. But after Tyson flattened him in such convincing fashion, not only did I gain respect, but actually became a fan, which to this day I still am, despite his infamous maniacal behavior.

Comment

Floyd when i wasn't a big fan of the sport. Hopkins i've come to appreciate. And after watching the thrilla in Manilla documentary I had a strong disliking for Ali.

Malinaggi has wne me over.

In contrast i really liked Leonard and quickly went off him and the same with Haye when i was a casual boxing fan.

I also talk very highly of Wlad's skills, his recent opponents.....not so much.

Comment

Floyd when i wasn't a big fan of the sport. Hopkins i've come to appreciate. And after watching the thrilla in Manilla documentary I had a strong disliking for Ali.

Malinaggi has won me over.

In contrast i really liked Leonard and quickly went off him and the same with Haye when i was a casual boxing fan.

I also talk very highly of Wlad's skills, his recent opponents.....not so much.

Comment

I got to spar once with Hatton (long before he was a contender) and thought he was an arrogant tool. For all I know he's still that way, but I respect him as a fighter and wish him the best in his comeback.

Comment

Working...
                    X