Austin Trout: Cotto's Unlikely Savior

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Trout: Cotto's Unlikely Savior

Let's get right to it:

Everyone seems to think a Cotto-Canelo fight is not happening this year so Canelo doesn't count. And with all this talk about legacy, meaningful fights and money fights, fighting Marco Antonio Rubio doesn't make any sense either.

So who are we left with?

Austin Trout.

Fighting Trout is just the type of non-PPV, stay busy fight Cotto needs right now.
    The fight can be sold as Cotto wanting to avenge a loss and if successful, could act as a foreshadowing of-sorts for a potential Mayweather rematch.

Cotto is putting the finishing touches on his legacy and attempting to avenge all of his losses (except maybe the one against Pacquaio due to catchweight reasons etc etc) would be a great way to go about finishing his career. I mean who could fault a fighter like Cotto for wanting to avenge a lost?

Seriously though. Golovkin has said he is willing to come down to 154 for a big fight, so Cotto really has no excuses for not fighting him this year. Cotto should just drop the belt if he wont fight Golovkin. Or fight Trout. At least by fighting Trout he could save face. Fighting anyone else, at this point, can't be justified.

If trout hadn't been on a losing streak it would make since but losing to canelo and especially Lara really doesn't help his cause.

Cotto would be better off with a Rubio mando fight

Comment

I'm down for Cotto-Trout 2. The first one was a solid fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        If trout hadn't been on a losing streak it would make since but losing to canelo and especially Lara really doesn't help his cause.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

I understand that but maybe Trout could have Cotto's number. At least that's how they could sell it. Styles make fights, right?

Rubio is a dangerous fight for Cotto if he's looking to fight Canelo next year. If Cotto is going to take on a dangerous opponent, why not fight Golovkin? At least GGG is willing to do a catchweight. I'm not sure if Rubio is willing to do the same.
          Last edited by secondsin; 08-02-2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by secondsin View Post
            Let's get right to it:

Everyone seems to think a Cotto-Canelo fight is not happening this year so Canelo doesn't count. And with all this talk about legacy, meaningful fights and money fights, fighting Marco Antonio Rubio doesn't make any sense either.

So who are we left with?

Austin Trout.

Fighting Trout is just the type of non-PPV, stay busy fight Cotto needs right now.
            The fight can be sold as Cotto wanting to avenge a loss and if successful, could act as a foreshadowing of-sorts for a potential Mayweather rematch.

Cotto is putting the finishing touches on his legacy and attempting to avenge all of his losses (except maybe the one against Pacquaio due to catchweight reasons etc etc) would be a great way to go about finishing his career. I mean who could fault a fighter like Cotto for wanting to avenge a lost?

Seriously though. Golovkin has said he is willing to come down to 154 for a big fight, so Cotto really has no excuses for not fighting him this year. Cotto should just drop the belt if he wont fight Golovkin. Or fight Trout. At least by fighting Trout he could save face. Fighting anyone else, at this point, can't be justified.
            Trout is too slick for him. I only gave cotto round 9.

Comment

I'd pick Cotto to win the rematch so I don't understand why this hasn't been brought up.

Comment

I think Trout's a good tune-up fight now. He can beat him. Then go from there, Meanwhile another loss is avenged. Trout's size and detirmination will be his tools, but Cotto has improved.

I always thought Cotto could have beat the Trout that fought Rodrigouz. Very good tune up fight. I think he should take it.

Comment

Trout won the first fight 11-1. Trout fought a tough Lara and got robbed by a game Canelo. Cotto fought a shot Delvin, and a shot Sergio. Trout has been tested more. Roach makes no difference. Cotto is not a test for trout.

Comment

Cotto beats Trout. I'd bet on it. Trout's to slow, and i think Cotto might have kinda overlooked Trout, or thought he was a tune-up at the time, but wasn't ready for him then.

I noticed some improvements trout made after Rodrigouz fight, that helped him beat Cotto. But the present Cotto beats, and maybe embarresses Trout. Trout has no killer instinct. Doesn't go in for the kill when he has an opponent hurt.

Comment

Working...
                    X