Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appearance and Composure in the ring can win you rounds without doing much true work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appearance and Composure in the ring can win you rounds without doing much true work

I expect some of you to come in here and **** all over this thread. That's fine. It's clearly over your head.

But.............. I have seen this in the last two PPV main events now.. Floyd vs Canelo and Bradley vs Marquez.

Floyd won the fight., just not as easy as so many people were screaming. Minus CJ Ross, the scorecards for that fight were right on. 116-112, 117-111. Perfect scores for a fight where Mayweather controlled, but didn't dominate and did a little more in most rounds. But on the flip side of this, Mayweather had the appearance and composure of someone who was doing whatever he wanted. The crowd ooing and awwing everytime a straight right glanced off Canelo's gloves.

Same with Bradley vs Marquez. So many close rds that could go either way. I will use rds 5 and 6 as an example. Bradley showed great footwork and in and out movement. But go watch those rounds again. Bradley couldn't have thrown more then 10 power punches in 2 rds, landing maybe 1 or 2. What did he do right thought? Look composed, showed great movement, had a strut and swag about his look in the ring.

That is great too, and a good quality to have in the ring, but if you aren't actually doing anything it shouldn't be persuading scorecards so god damn much.

Agree or disagree.. Ive said my piece.

Originally posted by Lovci View Post
    Bradley couldn't have thrown more then 10 power punches in 2 rds, landing maybe 1 or 2. What did .
    I have a response but before I say anything, you only score power punches and not jabs? That might be where your problem lies. Your ignoring the most important punch in boxing.

Comment

#'s don't lie, Marquez outlanded Bradley with power punches and was also more accurate.

I know exactly what you are talking about Bradley-Marquez, and I agree. It's as if he went to acting class as part of his training camp. He learned how to act like he's winning and give off a body language as if he's winning. He certainly fooled Lederman with his acting, and some fans, but I saw a very close fight. I have no problem with Hoyle and Feldman's scorecards, which actually depicted what happened in the fight.

Bradley made a lot of special expressions, smiling, arm raising, "I'm winning" kind of body language, yet he landed a mere 86 power punches to Marquez's the "loser" 115 power punches.

Bradley simply won on activity and body language, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        I have a response but before I say anything, you only score power punches and not jabs? That might be where your problem lies. Your ignoring the most important punch in boxing.
        1 Power punch > 1 Jab. If were talking about scoring. No where have I undermined the importance of the jab.

Comment

but the crowd oohd and ahhhd for every jmm jab but didnt make a peep for bradley. they atleast cheered for canelo

Comment

If you are a judge and you score a fight based on crowd response or how confident a fighter look you might want to pick up another line of work.

Comment

Straight
              I expect some of you to come in here and **** all over this thread. That's fine. It's clearly over your head.

But.............. I have seen this in the last two PPV main events now.. Floyd vs Canelo and Bradley vs Marquez.

Floyd won the fight., just not as easy as so many people were screaming. Minus CJ Ross, the scorecards for that fight were right on. 116-112, 117-111. Perfect scores for a fight where Mayweather controlled, but didn't dominate and did a little more in most rounds. But on the flip side of this, Mayweather had the appearance and composure of someone who was doing whatever he wanted. The crowd ooing and awwing everytime a straight right glanced off Canelo's gloves.

Same with Bradley vs Marquez. So many close rds that could go either way. I will use rds 5 and 6 as an example. Bradley showed great footwork and in and out movement. But go watch those rounds again. Bradley couldn't have thrown more then 10 power punches in 2 rds, landing maybe 1 or 2. What did he do right thought? Look composed, showed great movement, had a strut and swag about his look in the ring.

That is great too, and a good quality to have in the ring, but if you aren't actually doing anything it shouldn't be persuading scorecards so god damn much.

Comment

cut the crap, floyd won, 9-3 at worst and 11-1 at best

bradley won 8-4 at worst, 9-3 at best

the fact taht both tim and floyd looked comfortable in the ring while their opponents struggled has nothing to do with the W here.... ****ing sore losers, and Im mexican but can see clear as day who won

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  #'s don't lie, Marquez outlanded Bradley with power punches and was also more accurate.

I know exactly what you are talking about Bradley-Marquez, and I agree. It's as if he went to acting class as part of his training camp. He learned how to act like he's winning and give off a body language as if he's winning. He certainly fooled Lederman with his acting, and some fans, but I saw a very close fight. I have no problem with Hoyle and Feldman's scorecards, which actually depicted what happened in the fight.

Bradley made a lot of special expressions, smiling, arm raising, "I'm winning" kind of body language, yet he landed a mere 86 power punches to Marquez's the "loser" 115 power punches.

Bradley simply won on activity and body language, nothing else.
                  Agree with both.

Comment

It's an interesting point, though I expect this thread to be shot down. Bradley had the better game plan, JMM looked sloppy and leaden-footed. However, JMM threw the better punches.

However, you also have to factor in the effectiveness of Tim's jab. Even if it was being parried, it was a problem for JMM all night. Tim was a nice blend of movement, jabs, and defence. But there were rounds when he barely threw a significant punch.

That fight was far, far closer than people will like to admit. I looked at my scorecard app at the end of the fight and I had it a draw. If you are not scoring the fight yourself, it is very easy to get suckered into the narrative being driven by the commentators.

Comment

Working...
                    X