No announcement yet.

The rise and rise of British boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rise and rise of British boxing

Has Great Britain ever had a more buoyant stance in boxing as it does right now?

We have some of the most exciting and talented professionals in the game right now, and we have the finest amateur fighters on the planet. We are the most successful Olympic team, and government funding for Rio is up from £9.55M to 13.8M (a rise of almost 45%)

Can any other country claim to show as much support? Not a chance. The UK is leading the way, and in 10 years time the professional game will be awash with superstars and champions coming from our beautiful shores.

I am a successful sports journalist, who has been deeply involved with boxing for over 20 years, and in that time i have never, ever seen such a monumental shift in funding, preparation and dedication, not just from fighters, but from the authorities who are CRITICAL in aiding and developing the talent we have.

Consider this; in Athens 2004 Amir Khan was our only medallist. In Atlanta ’96 ALL boxers had to find their own funding.

In 2016 team GB will be the firm leading light in professionalism, talent, dedication, funding and ultimately SUCCESS.

Prepare yourself world, because the Brits are coming and they’re coming to take over.

Boxing truly has come home.

Originally posted by Box Up! View Post
    Has Great Britain ever had a more buoyant stance in boxing as it does right now?

We have some of the most exciting and talented professionals in the game right now, and we have the finest amateur fighters on the planet. We are the most successful Olympic team, and government funding for Rio is up from £9.55M to 13.8M (a rise of almost 45%)

Can any other country claim to show as much support? Not a chance. The UK is leading the way, and in 10 years time the professional game will be awash with superstars and champions coming from our beautiful shores.

I am a successful sports journalist, who has been deeply involved with boxing for over 20 years, and in that time i have never, ever seen such a monumental shift in funding, preparation and dedication, not just from fighters, but from the authorities who are CRITICAL in aiding and developing the talent we have.

Consider this; in Athens 2004 Amir Khan was our only medallist. In Atlanta ’96 ALL boxers had to find their own funding.

In 2016 team GB will be the firm leading light in professionalism, talent, dedication, funding and ultimately SUCCESS.

Prepare yourself world, because the Brits are coming and they’re coming to take over.

Boxing truly has come home.

Come at us, world!

Comment

Surely this means Ukraine must be at least the second most powerful boxing nation on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        Surely this means Ukraine must be at least the second most powerful boxing nation on the planet.
        If you’re an American, i’d be more concerned that your boxers were not even good enough to clean the toilets at London 2012 and ultimately that’ll filter into the pro-ranks. To put it simply, in 5/6 years time I’d bet the Ukraine has more professional success than America.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          To be fair P4P the Ukraine is a hugely successful boxing nation at the olympics, and as more decide to turn pro (as i think they will seeing the success of K'Bros) they will start producing some very good pros.

Lomachenko and Usyk are very good, currently in WSB and reportedly looking to turn full pro in the Spring.

Comment

British Boxing will rise again!

and then fall....

and fall....

and fall again...

Comment

British boxing is doing well but lets not talk about the olympics, because we all know it was a farce.

Comment

Originally posted by badnewsbrown View Post
                British boxing is doing well but lets not talk about the olympics, because we all know it was a farce.
                Regardless of some debatable decisions, the way the UK funding system works means the more medals you get, the more your funding increases.

With that will come improved scouting, training facilities, fitness coaches etc. Then more medals could come, then more funding.

Its how we dominated Rowing for so many years and now are dominating Cycling. If the same happens in Boxing expect some good talent to come from these shores...

Comment

Sure, we are bound to see improvement of amatuer talent coming through, but i just don't see the talent developing into good pro's right now. The fighters we saw at the olympics were not great at all, lets be honest. Having said that Britain does have better days coming for sure.

Comment

Good luck guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X