Collapse
No announcement yet.

joe frazier vs mike tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No way. Tyson was a two-fisted banger with better defensive ability and a better left hook imo. Frazier only had the hook. That combined with the handspeed and combinations, I say Mike would overwhelm Frazier in the first round. If he made it to the later rounds I think he'd beat Tyson though.

Comment

Tyson wins quickly. Frazier was vulnerable in the early rounds and I'm not just talking about Foreman, Bonavena had him down twice in round 2 of their fight. Prime Mike Tyson started faster than any other heavywieght ever.
      If Joe could survive the initial onslaught for 4 rounds or so he wins but I just do not see that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by M26
        I don´t think so. Frazier and Tyson was similar in size. Frazier was 5'11 and fought at aprox 205 lbs in his prime. Tyson was 5'11 and fought at aprox 210 in his prime. Not a big difference. So this would be decided on heart, will and power. Tyson would hit harder, but I don´t think he was stronger. Frazier had better stamina and tons of heart. Tyson would be to weak mentally to mix it up with Frazier.
        Tyson in prime condition is 216, and Mike Tyson has way superior skills and speed to Frazier, Tyson has a better chin, Frazier has more stamina and heart, but is to slow and less skilled to beat Tyson from 1988. Tyson would KO him, maybe in the mid rounds.

Everytime Tyson looses he weighs in at over 220 pounds

For all his comeback fights he weighed in 216 or 218 ect against McNeely,Bruno, Selden, Mathis Jr., but when he fought Holyfield he weighed in at 222. When he fought Douglas it was one of the first times I ever saw him weigh in at over 220.
        Last edited by The Troll; 05-02-2005, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by McKay
          Tyson in prime condition is 216, and Mike Tyson has way superior skills and speed to Frazier, Tyson has a better chin, Frazier has more stamina and heart, but is to slow and less skilled to beat Tyson from 1988. Tyson would KO him, maybe in the mid rounds.

Everytime Tyson looses he weighs in at over 220 pounds

For all his comeback fights he weighed in 216 or 218 ect against McNeely,Bruno, Selden, Mathis Jr., but when he fought Holyfield he weighed in at 222. When he fought Douglas it was one of the first times I ever saw him weigh in at over 220.
          agree, what did foreman had that tysons prime didnt had?, tyson would overhemled frazier in those few rounds and eventually ko frazier.

Comment

im going with Tyson for sure

Comment

Frazier KO 7.

Why in the world do people say Frazier had no chin? The only one who ever put him down for the count was Foreman. GEORGE FOREMAN. You need to understand something. Foreman is not just another puncher. This guy is a wrecking machine. Nobody, not Tyson, not Lewis not even Tua come anywhere close to this guy's punching power, so if this is the reasoning for your argument, you're way off base. Oscar Bonavena knocked Joe down once. The second knockdown was a push and if you've seen the fight,(which I doubt some of you have) you'd know it. Ali couldn't knock Frazier down, Manuel Ramos couldn't, Jerry Quarry couldn't. Are you going to tell me that none of them could hit? Bottom line is this, to knock Frazier out, you needed to be Foreman or you had to have a shotgun, plain and simple. And while I'll admit that Tyson has power, it just ain't in the same league as Foreman's and those who think otherwise are fooling themselves.
              Last edited by Imira; 05-06-2005, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I disagree with the statements above which questioned Tyson's chin. At his best, his capacity to take a punch was fantastic in my opinion (granted, his punch resistance has has deteriorated since his decline).

Bruno & Ruddock, both fearsome punchers, landed shots which would have put lesser heavyweights down. Douglas had to land a million shots to dispatch Tyson.

As to who would have won. I think it would be an exceptional and close fight for 4 or 5 rounds in the same vein as Hagler-Hearns but I think Tyson would come out on top but it would probably need the referee's intervention to save Frazier from himself.

Comment

Frazier only advantage over Tyson was he had tremendous stamina reminiscent of Marciano as he was a small plodder heavyweight, weighed in at like 208 usually. HIs only drawback was his chin, while not bad, it was not exactly cast in Iron either. If Holyfield could beat Tyson I think Frazier probably could. Its a pick em fight for me. If Frazier avoids taking too many bombs he will take the fight to Mike, the only way you can fight Mike is by taking it too him and Frazier would. And Frazier could bring it hard for 15 where Tyson cant bring it hard for 5.
                  Last edited by The Troll; 05-06-2005, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovoth
                    I disagree with the statements above which questioned Tyson's chin. At his best, his capacity to take a punch was fantastic in my opinion (granted, his punch resistance has has deteriorated since his decline).

Bruno & Ruddock, both fearsome punchers, landed shots which would have put lesser heavyweights down. Douglas had to land a million shots to dispatch Tyson.

As to who would have won. I think it would be an exceptional and close fight for 4 or 5 rounds in the same vein as Hagler-Hearns but I think Tyson would come out on top but it would probably need the referee's intervention to save Frazier from himself.
                    Tyson has a pretty tremendous chin, I'd say top notch, definitely quite alot better than Fraziers.

Comment

Also Frazier had the ability to get off the canvas and go onto to win fights, something you cant say of Tyson.

Comment

Working...
                      X