No announcement yet.

Strategies to use against a counter puncher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategies to use against a counter puncher

How do you deal with guys who just wait for you to come into range then counter with a quick 1-2?

If I'm being defensive too it just ends up being a stalemate. I'm usually taller than others in my weight class so I have the reach advantage should I just come behind the jab and land combos or focus more on head movement before throwing anything?

Counter the counter puncher for example, throw the 1-2 which he'll probably look to counter with say a 1-2-3 (jab, straight, left hook), counter his attack.

Use feints with your head & hands. You're essentially tricking them into thinking you're throwing which they'll open themselves up, providing openings.

Don't be predictable or static, pivot off.

Too many are static, upright. This is a bad strategy against a counterpuncher who will know exactly where your head is going to be.

Comment

Like this ^ also I find it important to get in closer if u just stay on the outside you make it easier for them .

Comment

To me... you set traps on him.... If you know he wants to counterpunch, then give him something to counter, whilst knowing you are going to counter him right after. Anticipate him countering you, and give him an answer.

Comment

Fients, head movement... Also if the guy is using rangy counters, or waiting for you to walk into his 1,2. Get inside and make the fight rough.

Comment

keep them guessing dont be predictable and make sure you are bringing your hands back to the proper position so you are protected. a lot of head movement and lateral movement. Im a shorter fighter and i found that getting inside even on guys that arent much taller than me and just kinda smothering them with a lot of punches and being more physical works. and just be able to keep working so you can wear them down but not get worn down yourself

Comment

Originally posted by DeLaHoya1fan View Post
              How do you deal with guys who just wait for you to come into range then counter with a quick 1-2?

If I'm being defensive too it just ends up being a stalemate. I'm usually taller than others in my weight class so I have the reach advantage should I just come behind the jab and land combos or focus more on head movement before throwing anything?
              Learn how to man the center of the ring. It takes confidence, practice, and conditioning (mind, legs,) Once you establish that "Control" guys will have no choice but to come to you. Don't give ground. Use that reach and learn how to punch down hill which will quickly force opponents to give you a lot more respect in the ring and limit their punch count. That may make you less defensive also.

Sergio Martinez somehow fight after fight gets guys to come to him and counter the crap out of them. Man the center of the ring but remember it's a training/conditioning (mind & body) process. Drills>Sparring>Fight no shortcuts

If you or your trainer needs some drills you can do to work on these things. Contact me through my website.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLaHoya1fan View Post

If you have the reach advantage, you should have the luxury of being able to be offensive WITHOUT getting into your opponents range unless they step in. Sounds like you need to practice using your range better. You should go to sleep throwing jabs and crosses, then dream about throwing jabs and crosses then wake up throwing some more of them. You should also learn to move back or pivot out after you throw your straight punches so even if they step in while you're punching, you immediately step back out of range or turn them. Once you master this, you should be able to pick off a shorter guy from the outside easily. His counters will almost always be short and catch air.

As a shorter boxer I know there are few tougher obstacles in the ring than to overcome a reach advantage against a guy who knows how to use it. Put the work in to learn how to fight tall and you'll be a boring yet nearly unbeatable fighter like most tall guys who actually fight their size

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
                  If you have the reach advantage, you should have the luxury of being able to be offensive WITHOUT getting into your opponents range unless they step in. Sounds like you need to practice using your range better. You should go to sleep throwing jabs and crosses, then dream about throwing jabs and crosses then wake up throwing some more of them. You should also learn to move back or pivot out after you throw your straight punches so even if they step in while you're punching, you immediately step back out of range or turn them. Once you master this, you should be able to pick off a shorter guy from the outside easily. His counters will almost always be short and catch air.

As a shorter boxer I know there are few tougher obstacles in the ring than to overcome a reach advantage against a guy who knows how to use it. Put the work in to learn how to fight tall and you'll be a boring yet nearly unbeatable fighter like most tall guys who actually fight their size
                  thats part of the reason I don't just jab and circle every sparring session because I know it'll end being boring though I'll definitely try and master it before practicing other techniques. I'm 6'0 at 145 so my reach isn't that significant, maybe a few inches above the average. My previous sparring partner who was a lot more experienced would do this exact same thing by spamming jabs and circling to the left, I knew it was coming each time but he hit hard and was out of the way every time i would attempt a combo.

@Barry thanks dude, maintaining that type of output requires some good conditioning. I always worry about tiring in sparring but at the end I realize I'm not even that fatigued.
                  Last edited by DeLaHoya1fan; 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Barry gave good advice.

If you're worried about being boring than don't box. If you have to be boring to win, then be boring.

Comment

Working...
                    X