Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Fight Which Inflicted A Regrettable Career-Ending Injury?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Fight Which Inflicted A Regrettable Career-Ending Injury?

This question isn't meant to sound insensitive and I don't wish a life-threatening or life-altering injury on any boxer but, by it's very nature, boxing is a brutal sport and severe injuries do happen from time to time. And in reality there is an element of blood lust and violence in the fighting arts which might be part of the reason many of us first started watching or participating in the sport.

So, having said that, what was the standout fight for you, in terms of the action, the drama and entertainment, where a fighter was either so severely injured that they needed to retire, or even a fight where the boxer regrettably lost his life?

The one fight which stays with me to this day (a fight which I saw live on TV back in 1995) was Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan. McClellan was a brilliant fighter with devastating knockout power, he had a KO ratio of nearly 90% from 34 fights, having knocked out 29 opponents and lost only two of his early 6-round and 8-round fights by close decisions.

He nearly knocked out Benn in the first round but Benn turned the fight around in a brutal back and forth war, eventually causing McClellan to take a knee and quit the fight due to what was later discovered to be a severe career-ending and life-changing brain injury.

If you haven't seen that fight I would strongly recommend that one, not for it's sad ending, but instead to celebrate the heart and skills that both McClellan and Benn displayed that night.

mayweather-baldomir after watching that i lost all hope in humanity and my once promising career as a successful person was reduced to a career of trolling on boxingscene

Comment

Ray Mancini vs Duk Koo Kim

Never saw so much dedication and heart in my entire life.

Comment

I was thinking more in the context of fights where guys were never the same after.

The one that comes to mind is JCC Meldrick Taylor 1. Just an absolutely brutal fight, its hard for me to watch knowing that Taylor gives everything and really gets his best days beaten out of him andd still comes up short.

Comment

Working...
        X