Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Lou Dibella doing enough with his elite fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Lou Dibella doing enough with his elite fighters?

Listen, Lou Dibella is my favorite promoter in boxing and I always admired the job he did with Paul Malignaggi's career, but is Lou doing enough with his elite fighters? Berto never had a significant fight before the Ortiz bout which means that not only did he take his first loss but he made a lot less money than someone with his talent should be making after 5 title defenses. Also Sergio Martinez, who has been in big fights lately, probably isn't getting nearly the attention or money that Top Rank fighters with half of his skills and looks are getting. Kermit Cintron beat Angulo and for his trouble got a ridiculously tough fight with Paul Williams and nothing after that...Is Lou doing enough with these guys?

Does he know how to put a fight on the West Coast?? I think he really needs to get Sergio Martinez some fights in Vegas/LA...He has huge support from Mexican's but he always fights in AC or Connecticut...There's hardly anyone out there who knows him.

Comment

he gave Berto a bad rap, people act like Berto is out here cherry picking, but Dibella won't put anyone in there, not even cintron who was calling Berto out, Cintron seems to be the only fighter short of mosley willing to get in the ring, Berto never got a chance at the top comp, and the only reason Dibella threw Ortiz in there was because of his past and it bit them in the ass. Berto needs a new trainer and promoter. Now Martinez who is p4p 3, gets to fight manfredo or the guy who beat Kirkland, what is Lou doing

Comment

Originally posted by choelzle View Post
        Listen, Lou Dibella is my favorite promoter in boxing and I always admired the job he did with Paul Malignaggi's career, but is Lou doing enough with his elite fighters? Berto never had a significant fight before the Ortiz bout which means that not only did he take his first loss but he made a lot less money than someone with his talent should be making after 5 title defenses. Also Sergio Martinez, who has been in big fights lately, probably isn't getting nearly the attention or money that Top Rank fighters with half of his skills and looks are getting. Kermit Cintron beat Angulo and for his trouble got a ridiculously tough fight with Paul Williams and nothing after that...Is Lou doing enough with these guys?
        The bold is nonsense, Berto fought no-one and was very well paid for doing so. $1.25M for Freddy Hernandez, a guy who even his own mother wouldn't consider a legit threat.

After beating Angulo, Kermit could've been given someone easier than Williams, but sometimes it's the fighter, not the promoter. Kermit looked like he could've won that fight until the ring jumping thing. Maybe DiBella should've gotten him a belt off of one of the weaker champs at 147-154, but my guess would be that HBO were a lot more interested/willing to offer money for a fight with Williams.

Cintron has left DiBella now so we'll see what Arum can do with him.

I think Martinez should be more of a star, but it takes time. There is no DLH/Tito/Pac/Cotto etc. available or willing to fight him, and you need opponents like that to be a big star.

I don't think DiBella is perfect and I'm not saying he couldn't do better, but he's done OK. If anything he made Berto far more money than he deserved, that guy should've fought legit challenges a long time ago, and Ortiz was/is not even that special a fighter, just a guy who HBO liked and so Berto could make good money against.

Comment

1 million dollars to fight freddy hernandez. pay your respects to the greatest promoter in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            1 million dollars to fight freddy hernandez. pay your respects to the greatest promoter in boxing history.
            I agree that he got more than he deserved against Hernandez, what I meant by "getting paid" was getting the big payday fights consistently

Comment

As far as Berto goes, I wouldn't put his lack of credentials so much on Dibella as I would put it on Al Haymon. Al Haymon was trying to build another Mayweather....but it's hard to make "chicken salad from chicken sh$t".

It also seems strange that Cintron was sitting on the shelf for so long. The dude needs to fight.

Comment

Al Haymon was trying to build another Mayweather....but it's hard to make "chicken salad from chicken sh$t".

Lol you aint kiddin

Comment

Working...
                X