Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas referee count myth busted.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas referee count myth busted.

Here is a video showing both counts were of exactly the same length so there was no bias whatsoever as many Tyson fans have screamed over time.

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    Here is a video showing both counts were of exactly the same length so there was no bias whatsoever as many Tyson fans have screamed over time.

I personally dont think there was any bias. Both counts were slow, but a world class ref hould be able to count 10 seconds more accurately.

Therefore my argument was always that the first count should have been the only count that mattered that night. Tyson could have easily walked away with a knockout with a different referee......not that he would have deserved the win, I doubt it would have benefitted him much either. Holyfield was waiting around the corner!

However, all things taken into account Buster Douglas deserved that night! He was well ahead on points. For a guy of his size he was superb. fast, hard punching, great technique.........his combinations were excellent, some of the best seen for a tall, rangy boxer since the heyday of Larry Holmes. For that night Buster Douglas showed the real potential that he had, the real talent.

Shame he blew it with poor diet and preparation for Holyfield. He really could have gone......on the form of the Tyson fight to mega fights throughout at least the first half of the 90s with Bowe, Lewis, Moorer and Foreman.

Shame!

Comment

If you look at the timer bottom right he had more then a 10 count. Tyson did not look well enough to put up much more of a fight anyway.

Maybe a bit slow but I think that's normal.
      Last edited by Holtol; 11-05-2010, 07:42 PM.

Comment

If you watch the hand of the guy in the background he was in #4 and the referee only got to 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Therefore my argument was always that the first count should have been the only count that mattered that night. Tyson could have easily walked away with a knockout with a different referee......not that he would have deserved the win, I doubt it would have benefitted him much either. Holyfield was waiting around the corner!
          That argument would have some merit, if it were not for Douglas clearly being more frustrated than hurt, as evidenced by his pounding the canvas, focusing completely on the referee's count, and springing quickly to his feet as the count approached ten.

Unless you can show that Douglas wasn't simply waiting it out on the canvas (I've trained with pros who have told me that that is a common strategy when being knocked down), and that he couldn't have gotten up earlier if he had to, then the whole "Tyson could have won with a different referee" thing is a crock.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            I have never had a problem with the count, Don King on the other hand.....

Comment

People often forget that there is nothing in the rules about a fallen boxer having to get up in 10 seconds. It says he must get up before the referee counts to ten. Ideally it would take 10 seconds, but it is not measured by a clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                People often forget that there is nothing in the rules about a fallen boxer having to get up in 10 seconds. It says he must get up before the referee counts to ten. Ideally it would take 10 seconds, but it is not measured by a clock.
                Exactly: The ref's count is the only one that's official.

Poet

Comment

Don King concocted this, there's no controversy, the count was fair. That said, if Tyson's bell wasn't so rung that he spent half the count fumbling for his mouth piece, he probably could have gotten up (though he'd almost certainly have been KO'd in short order).

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                    That argument would have some merit, if it were not for Douglas clearly being more frustrated than hurt, as evidenced by his pounding the canvas, focusing completely on the referee's count, and springing quickly to his feet as the count approached ten.

Unless you can show that Douglas wasn't simply waiting it out on the canvas (I've trained with pros who have told me that that is a common strategy when being knocked down), and that he couldn't have gotten up earlier if he had to, then the whole "Tyson could have won with a different referee" thing is a crock.

'Springing quickly to his feet'!!!! Ha ha.

The video is above!!!!, he didn't start shifting till he heard seven.....which is risky in itself, his rising was very slow over the next two seconds with his glove on his left leg for leverage, he was a touch lucky to have beat it! Though no less brave, full credit to Buster.

Many refs wave a fight off if a fighter cant beat 9......let alone 10. Check out Ali vs Foreman.

I was very glad for Buster, he deserved that fight. Nothing more to add really.

Comment

Working...
                    X