No announcement yet.

Gerry Cooney: "Floyd NEVER really wanted to fight Pacquiao"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerry Cooney: "Floyd NEVER really wanted to fight Pacquiao"

Exclusive Interview - Gerry Cooney Speaks On Larry Holmes, George Foreman, The Klitschkos and Pacquiao-Mayweather
    By James Slater

J.S: Who do you like watching today, Gerry?

G.C: I like the Klitschko boys, I think they’re in a class of their own. I like Manny Pacquiao. All the super-middleweights are great, with their [Super-Six] tournament, all great fights. And now they’re doing a bantamweight tournament. It’s very exciting. Like I say, boxing was on the floor, but it got back up.

J.S: You mentioned Pac-Man - I’ve got to ask you on the record: who wins if he and Floyd Mayweather ever do fight?

G.C: You know, I’ve bounced back and forth on that. At one time I thought Mayweather was too big for him, but Pacquiao is a great guy and a southpaw, and he started off at 106-pounds - the same weight Mayweather started at as an amateur. I had Harold Weston on the show - a welterweight who fought everybody - and he was telling me what he thinks. I’d love to see Pacquiao beat him, I’ve got to say.

J.S: But will the fight ever happen, especially in light of Floyd’s current legal troubles?

G.C: I’m disgusted right now. The fight was there to be made a while back - a great fight - but then Mayweather started all that drug testing stuff, which was just nonsense really. Mayweather was making all these unnecessary demands, maybe because he never really wanted the fight. It’s hard to believe that, what with all that money on the table, but you never know.

J.S: Well, a lot of people do seem to think that maybe Floyd didn’t want to risk losing that zero on the end of his record. And as much I would never call any fighter scared, maybe Mayweather felt he couldn’t beat the guy!

G.C: It just shows, the unhealthy way Mayweather has been behaving lately, all that acting out before the press and the fans. Who knows? But I put it [the fight between the two] on the shelf now, I’m done with it. Let’s see all the other great fights out there instead. Let’s see Pacquiao fight his next fight [against Margarito] - a guy who I really don’t feel should be fighting.
    To read the entire interview:

http://www.east sideboxing.com/news.php?p=25145&more=1
    (please remove space)
    Yes
    92.31%
    No
    0.00%
    Maybe
    7.69%

Exactly Gerry Cooney

Comment

Working...