No announcement yet.

Opinions on flu vaccines and vaccines in general

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dick Senormous View Post
    Exactly this. Its amazing that morons will disagree when it is proven that stopping vaccines has caused serious outbreaks of the diseases that would otherwise be prevented if people were vaccinated. And the chosen spokesperson and subject matter expert for the campaign against vaccines was Jenny McCarthy.........Jenny McCarthy................just let that sink in.
    Don't forget Andrew Wakefield, a guy whose study was so unethical and awful that it was not only retracted, he was also fired from being a doctor.

Comment

A lot of people confuse having a cold, which is any mild infection of the upper respiratory tract caused by one of 1000s of types and strains of virus with influenza. That's why there is no cure for it because it is actually many different diseases that have similar symptoms.

Influenza is a particular genus that has 3 distinct species, A, B and C. B and C are generally mild and what is usually meant by the term cold and flu.

When we talk about vaccination we are talking about influenza A which can be extremely virulent depending on the strain but is much more severe than a cold. Influenza goes through antigenic drift which is small mutAtions causing changes on it's surface antigens, which is why you need to get shots every year.

There is also antigenic shift which is when two strains combine in a host creating a completely new strain which people have no cross immunity to. This is what can potentially cause a pandemic.

As far as vaccinations go, the flu shot isn't necessary for healthy people and won't always work but it is very safe. As for childhood immunization you have to be nuts not to get them for your kids, you are putting their life's at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
        When we talk about vaccination we are talking about influenza A which can be extremely virulent depending on the strain but is much more severe than a cold. Influenza goes through antigenic drift which is small mutAtions causing changes on it's surface antigens, which is why you need to get shots every year.
        In comic book terms the flu mutates which gives it the mutant superpower to fuck up your shit for a week.

Comment

There is no cure for the flu, so why would i knowingly let myself be injected with a supposedly weakened version of the virus that actually causes you to have the flu? .

Comment

Originally posted by C U NextTuesday View Post
            There is no cure for the flu, so why would i knowingly let myself be injected with a supposedly weakened version of the virus that actually causes you to have the flu? .
            It doesn't give you the flu, It just presents the flu antigens to you acquired immune system so you can develop antibodies to it. The flu shot is an inactivated vaccine not a live or attenuated vaccine meaning it is completely dead not "weakened" it cannot revert to its virulent state.

Comment

Originally posted by C U NextTuesday View Post
              There's no cure for the flu but there is a vaccine that reduces your chance of catching it plus drugs to alleviate the symptoms should they become life threatening. I'm surprised that someone with your undoubted education wouldn't know that.

Comment

You hear me say this sort of thing a lot, but seriously - Only absolute morons believe in vaccination conspiracies. All you have to do is read a medical journal or two and you will be absolutely blown away by the sheer amount of human lives saved since we started massive vaccination programs. Not a single case of autism has ever been linked to vaccination in countless studies done on the subject. Not one.

It's really disheartening that I live in a country where 1 in 4 adults has the same view of clinically proven medical science that a dumb **** who got famous in the 90s for showing her, well...dumb **** does. These people should be ejected out of our ****ing planet for polluting the gene pool with their stupidity.

We as a species owe an exponential debt that can never and will never be repaid to men like Alexander Fleming, Jonas Salk, Edward Jenner, and the countless other medical researchers who utterly revolutionized medical science with their research. Without those guys, none of us would ****ing exist today. We owe them everything - Certainly the least we can do to honor them is to speak out when dip****s seek to dishonor their work by spouting their (comparably infantile and completely invalidated) "theories."

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                  There is no link between vaccines and autism. I've never heard the one about them being linked to dementia.

There is a clear link between stopping vaccination and dying of preventable diseases as the recent outbreaks of measles in the United States shows. Polio was almost eradicated thanks to vaccines. Smallpox WAS eradicated. Whooping cough is making a comeback from the verge of eradication because of wackaloon anti-vax fuckadays who would rather get their medical advice from a former Playboy model than from all of the doctors.

The flu vaccine is an odd one. Not that it's a nefarious avenue for infiltration by the lizard government like the conspi******s want you to think. No, because it's not that necessary for most people. Having said that it isn't generally necessary for most people because the flu isn't necessarily life threatening for most people. It sucks but it isn't necessary. It is necessary for certain groups though. The elderly, young children, and families of pregnant women, as well as first responders and emergency services personnel. I get the shot every year.

For all of those people who claim that they used to get the vaccine every year and got the flu every year and once they stopped getting it they stopped getting flu: You never had the flu. You had a cold and were being a pussy.

Yes, different types of virus.
                  Well said and you pretty much nailed it.

One thing I would like to add to this great post is that the flu virus is different due to it's higher mutation rate. That are various stands and what the vaccine is suppose to do is not prevent you from getting the flu virus, rather prevent you from dying from the virus when or if you get it.

It basically gives your body a dead stand of the virus, which helps your immune system detect it quicker once you get the actual virus. Because your body is familiar with what this foreign body looks like,it response quicker and more efficiently.

However, IMO I see no need for it unless you have a weaker immune system due to age or something like that. There are so many strands of the flu virus and with the way it is evolving, I feel flu vaccines are pointless.

Now if were talking polio or some other destructive desease, then yes, vaccines are amazing, but not for flu virus.......just my two cents.

BTW the myth that vaccines cause autism and dementia have been debunked numerous times. One of my professors is one of the top guys at W.H.O and he constantly slams people who make those claims.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                    You hear me say this sort of thing a lot, but seriously - Only absolute morons believe in vaccination conspiracies. All you have to do is read a medical journal or two and you will be absolutely blown away by the sheer amount of human lives saved since we started massive vaccination programs. Not a single case of autism has ever been linked to vaccination in countless studies done on the subject. Not one.

It's really disheartening that I live in a country where 1 in 4 adults has the same view of clinically proven medical science that a dumb **** who got famous in the 90s for showing her, well...dumb **** does. These people should be ejected out of our ****ing planet for polluting the gene pool with their stupidity.

We as a species owe an exponential debt that can never and will never be repaid to men like Alexander Fleming, Jonas Salk, Edward Jenner, and the countless other medical researchers who utterly revolutionized medical science with their research. Without those guys, none of us would ****ing exist today. We owe them everything - Certainly the least we can do to honor them is to speak out when dip****s seek to dishonor their work by spouting their (comparably infantile and completely invalidated) "theories."
                    Not to steer this conversation in a different direction but I use to think that but after numerous studies on the evolution of our immune system, the complete opposite it true.

What would ultimately happen is that large amounts of humans would be wiped out, bottleneck would occur then founder groups would emerge with immune systems resistant to those various diseases etc.

For instance felines and chimps both have disease akin to HIV in humans (FIV and SIV). However it's only devastating to humans because it's more recent in our evolutionary history. Both Felines and Chimps have those and due to evolution....it's basically harmless to them. Humans are already developing resistances to HIV....and in our evolutionary history, there have been devasting disease we have overcome without the help of medical research.

I say all of that to say this; yes those brilliant men have contributed greatly to medical science and say countless lives......however with the way evolution works, we would have eventually developed resistances to them anyway. However it's an arm's race and thankfully with have talent individuals that continue to help fight these constantly evolving diseases.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Khalid View Post
                      Well said and you pretty much nailed it.

One thing I would like to add to this great post is that the flu virus is different due to it's higher mutation rate. That are various stands and what the vaccine is suppose to do is not prevent you from getting the flu virus, rather prevent you from dying from the virus when or if you get it.

It basically gives your body a dead stand of the virus, which helps your immune system detect it quicker once you get the actual virus. Because your body is familiar with what this foreign body looks like,it response quicker and more efficiently.

However, IMO I see no need for it unless you have a weaker immune system due to age or something like that. There are so many strands of the flu virus and with the way it is evolving, I feel flu vaccines are pointless.

Now if were talking polio or some other destructive desease, then yes, vaccines are amazing, but not for flu virus.......just my two cents.

BTW the myth that vaccines cause autism and dementia have been debunked numerous times. One of my professors is one of the top guys at W.H.O and he constantly slams people who make those claims.
                      Another great post. Thanks for the contribution.

One thing I'll add regarding the bolded, though - You pretty much stated the reason why they're not pointless with the prior statement that I underlined.

We human beings are selfish creatures by nature, tending to only really think about what things directly affect us, but flu vaccines work wonders in preventing death in children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems via either a disease (AIDS/HIV) or a medical treatment (chemotherapy).

So they're not pointless at all if you happen to fall into any of those three categories. They won't stop you from getting sick, but there's a damn good chance that they'll prevent you from dying due to being sick. It's just that most people, being self-centered, tend to only think about such things in a "does it help me?" nature.

That's why we unfortunately have a country where 25% of adults think that vaccinations are either pointless or, worse yet, an inherently evil tool employed by the government to make them ******ed.

They'd be so much happier if they just realized that they already are ******ed for having that belief.

Comment

Working...
                      X