No announcement yet.

Bob Arum: "Pac-Bradley PPV did terrible; we lost money on the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Arum: "Pac-Bradley PPV did terrible; we lost money on the fight

Sorry if it's been posted already, didn't see it on the front page.

link: http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...moter-bob-arum

Bob Arum: Pacquiao-Bradley III lost money, had 'terrible' PPV numbers
    5:53 PM ET
    Dan Rafael
    ESPN Senior Writer

If welterweight Manny Pacquiao's unanimous decision victory against Timothy Bradley Jr. in their third fight was indeed the last of his career, as Pacquiao said it was, he went out with a whimper, at least commercially.

Pacquiao-Bradley III, which took place April 9 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, generated between 400,000 and 500,000 HBO PPV buys, a very disappointing result, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said Wednesday.

"It will be somewhere between those numbers, 400,000 and 500,000. It's all being added up, but it will be closer to 400,000 than 500,000. Terrible," Arum said.

Some in the industry say they think Arum is being optimistic and that when everything is counted, the fight might not even reach 400,000.

Either way, Arum said the fight, for which the main event alone cost $24 million ($20 million to Pacquiao and $4 million to Bradley), lost money.

"Yes, it loses money," Arum said. "It was not one of our big successes.
    It happens. We're big boys. Do I feel good about it? No."

Pacquiao, boxing's only eight-division titleholder and the icon of the Philippines, had already faced Bradley twice in fights virtually everybody thought Pacquiao won easily, though Bradley received a split decision win in their hugely controversial first fight in 2012. Pacquiao won the 2014 rematch in similarly dominant fashion and few were asking for a third fight, which Pacquiao also won handily.

But Arum said the poor numbers were not a matter of the public being tired of the matchup. Rather, he said it was more a combination of two other elements -- the overwhelmingly negative public reaction to Pacquiao's recent anti-gay comments, in which he said that ****sexuals are "worse than animals," and because of a hangover from May's Floyd Mayweather-Pacquiao megafight, which cost $100 for pay-per-view and delivered so little that many fans are still upset about it.

"Certainly the pushback from Manny's gay remarks killed us," Arum said. "It hurt us a lot. But I think it was also less a reaction to the match than a reaction to the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. It was a reaction like Mayweather got. Mayweather also got punished [by consumers]."
    Last edited by Nubia; 04-20-2016, 05:58 PM.

This fight lost the moment they announced it. No surprise here

Comment

Should retitle this.

NEWS: Andre Berto is a bigger draw than Manny!

Comment

He seems a lil delusional about the results. I'm sure there are people who are anti-boxing/anti-Manny & Floyd due to the fight last May. I'm sure there are people who are upset about the gay remarks Manny made. But the first & biggest problem to me is that they were trying to sell a 3rd fight for Manny vs Tim that no one wanted to see in the first place. I'm thinking that might be the first place to lay blame. That erased most of those 800k-900k people that purchased the first & second fights.

Hell same thing with Floyd. No one gave a f#ck about seeing Floyd vs Berto. So while I'm sure last May didn't help things the opponent is the biggest problem.

Comment

I don't think the anti-gay had much to do with it tbh. It was a matchup that no one asked for, a rubber match at that, and there are still negative effects from the May-Pac PPV dud which turned off a lot of fans. Unless we get a GGG-Canelo PPV, I don't anticipate any PPV in the foreseeable future to even come close to 1M buys.

Comment

great news, f0ck em all that was involved in making this ****ty fight

Comment

Not all that surprising. Maybe a little lower than I had originally thought, but not much.

Not sure how much Pacquiao's comments had to do with it.

I certainly think it lessened the media coverage for the fight, which is probably part of the reason there wasn't much media build up, but I'm not sure how many actual buys it cost them.

This was a tired fight that didn't have much fan interest.

And the way the Pacquiao camp handled the Mayweather fight and injury aftermath probably still lingers with many fans.

Comment

this also proves Floyd lost money on the Bumto fight and even if he didnt lose money, the fight was not a success, especially for the pound for pound ppv king

Both should have fought Khan and anyone who says otherwise is a fool....but Khan was too much of a risk

Canelo knows the score...
                Last edited by FrankieBruno; 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM.

Comment

This was all about Pac having been a draw in large part because he was built as the man that Floyd was scared of.

Now that is no longer on the table, casual fans who bought that line of BS have moved on.

Comment

He's delusional if he thinks it's cause PAC gay comments. It's 100% about being a shltty matchup. That's and he's not floyds boogie man anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X